Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 4.0 Rebuild

Old 10-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Smile 97 4.0 Rebuild

Hey everyone, a long time lurker here. I have listened to everyone's advice through the years as I have owned my XJ for going on 3 years now? Lose track of time but just some back ground on myself, as a kid my family first owned an 88 XJ then we moved to a couple Grand Cherokee's where finally in my late 20's I've finally gotten my own. Now I've done alot of bolt on's and typically anything I can turn a wrench on Ive done taking care my cars. Over the time I have had my XJ I've replaced the alternator, AC compressor, and my personal favorite the oil pan and RMS!! But now with my XJ having 206k on it and oil seems to still be coming from RMS ( my fault, didn't know about the plastic piece to protect the new seal when reinstalling, so I more than likely scored it) and I've had a mysterious misfire at idle (runs fabulous while driving!) which I have tried to track down by replacing fuel injectors from a Neon, new four whole injectors. I've replaced the IAC sensor, cleaned intake, new spark plugs and wires (and yes swapped things around still misfiring on cylinder 1), and new distributor cap. Seafoam has been ran through it, you name it I've done it to check it out. Leak down and compression test is good on the head so nothing to complain about there.

So with all that rambling info, I am thinking about very soon heading down the road of a rebuild. Clean everything up, upgrade the wires to the battery and ground wires while I'm at it. I eventually want to turn this into a nice detailed how-to for future Jeep enthusiasts to be able to look at, as I haven't been able to find a in depth how to on a rebuild. A couple youtube videos that are decent but want to be able to contribute my worth for the community.

My questions to you Jeep veterans, I have read a couple things on rebuild kits, is it safe to say that Titan Engines offers one of the best kits we can get for our 4.0? My next concern is not disassembly so much, its what little things am I going to encounter during the reinstall of everything? Are there valve adjustments or timing related issues I will have to be aware of? Currently I am working nightshift and have been preparing for my wedding so I haven't had a chance to dive into my factory service manual yet but just wanted to pick the brains of the most knowledgeable community!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:36 PM

Default Kit

Also the kit that Titan offers, the Jeep Premium Master Engine Rebuild Kit 242 4.0 1996-98, is there anything that anyone would recommend I purchase in addition to? I don't see push rods in the description?
Old 10-23-2016, 09:07 PM

Buy the part, not the kit.

How do you know what crank bearings to order, for example?
You don't until your machinist tells you which.

If your engine has not been rebuilt before, you can assume 30 over, supply those to your machinist when you drop off the block and head, he will need them when he reconditions your con rods.

I choose parts, not kits.

Push rods are reusable if not bent or damaged.

A double roller will not come with a 'kit', again, buy the part.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 PM

Default I am god

So you are saying to buy all these parts individually? This definitely will increase costs, I can find out after the machinist has done his thing and just specify the correct size for the crank bearings when ordering the kit. and no I should have put that in the OP, but my motor has never been rebuilt before. It was purchased with 150k on it, slight leak when I got it but what Jeep with over 100k does't mark its territory hahaha

Last edited by Bakerunc; 10-23-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: for got info
Old 10-23-2016, 09:57 PM

Engine: 4.0L

For my rebuild I had the mechanist order a master kit. He knew all the new dimensions so I trusted him to order the kit. I think a kit is much easier than ordering every single part.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rojito
For my rebuild I had the mechanist order a master kit. He knew all the new dimensions so I trusted him to order the kit. I think a kit is much easier than ordering every single part.

Thats not a bad idea Rojito, least I could do is to get the machinist to write down all the dimensions I would need and order or get him to order it. I'm thinking it would be easier as well to order as a kit. I know there will be one or two things I will have to order separate and thats what I am trying to figure out now.

Like I am god said, the double roller would need to be ordered. I went back and looked and its not listed in the description but shown in the "generic pic" on the website.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 PM

This things just getting to be a thorn in my side, I like piece of mind so thats why I plan to rebuild it. I've chased this misfire around for weeks and to finally be able to seal the oil leaks and put fresh guts in will make me sleep easy
Old 01-19-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

so what happened? did you do the rebuild? or go with a long block and swap over of everything?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Engine: 4.0l HO

I'm curious as well. Did you get her done?!!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:50 PM

Year: 1986, 1997
Engine: 2.8L, 4.0l

I'm inot the same boat... I have my 4.0 pulled out of the chassis and totallyndis-assembled... It sat for 4 years in the weather and got water in the #6 cylinder.... it's a 97 sport That I picked up for $500 with an engine they couldn't get installed. They said everything worked before they pulled the bad engin..body is excellent.... no rust... I just need to have everything inspected, and advice on what I need to do with the block/pistons/head.....
Old 01-25-2017, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Paul, this might help.