Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 XJ wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default 96 XJ wiring.

I was looking over my jeep today and noticed I have 2 wires that aren't hooked up that look like they were cut by the p.o.. They are located on the passenger side at the back of the engine compartment behind the fuse and relay box. One wire is red with a black line and the other is black (normally a ground). I have been through every wiring diagram in the haynes manual and can not find a red and black wire. Anyone know what wire these are and where they go?

Last edited by ambers96xj; 09-21-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L
Default Under Hood light

My 96 XJ has a black and red pair coming from the main wire harness just to the right of the windshield washer reservoir to the light attached to the underside of the hood. This fixture has some sort of position switch so it is on when the hood is raised, and off when the hood is lowered. Perhaps the hood was changed in the past and the light was not relocated to the new hood. You can retrieve one of these easily from a wrecking yard. The AMC years has a light on a long retracting cord so you can pull it out and shine it anywhere under the hood.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Originally Posted by HappyTrails
My 96 XJ has a black and red pair coming from the main wire harness just to the right of the windshield washer reservoir to the light attached to the underside of the hood. This fixture has some sort of position switch so it is on when the hood is raised, and off when the hood is lowered. Perhaps the hood was changed in the past and the light was not relocated to the new hood. You can retrieve one of these easily from a wrecking yard. The AMC years has a light on a long retracting cord so you can pull it out and shine it anywhere under the hood.

Easy enough thanks!! I am retracing wires and don't want to miss anything. Trying to figure out why my XJ won't run.