Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Fuel Pump Woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Fuel Pump Woes

Hey guys, I have pulled the fuel pump module on my '96 to replace the malfunctioning pump. I bought a Bosch replacement for about $60, but I'm having some trouble replacing just the pump. I have two questions/issues here, highlighted by the red circles in the pic below.

1) The insulation on the ground wire has broken down and there is a little corrosion for the connector that goes to the pump. I would like to replace this and am wondering if this connector is universal and something I could get at the store?

2) Since I'm replacing just the pump in this assembly I need to disconnect the regulator from pump, and am having a hell of a time with those hose clamps. I have never seen this type before, is there a trick to getting them unclasped? Worried about excessive force on them as the pressure regulator housing is 21 yr old plastic and probably pretty brittle.

I'm getting pretty frustrated thinking I may have to shell out for the complete Crown assembly ($200) and to put the Bosch pump on it.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Update question 1: I've been to Pep Boys and Autozone, neither of them carry a wiring harness with the same connector. I've ordered a Nissan fuel pump kit on Amazon for $12 (with pump, scary one that-I'll stick with the Bosch) which looks to have the connector I need, and with the XJ factory crimped connections on the free ends of the wires as well.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 PM

I'm also thinking about hardwiring these connections so I can get this done. Is there any reason not to solder these connections? Not sure how gas affects the solder but I wouldn't think its any different than the normal metal contacts sitting in the fluid.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

If you're going to cut the wires anyway, you might just look for any decent connector with the same number of wires and replace both ends.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Originally Posted by wgebb
I'm also thinking about hardwiring these connections so I can get this done. Is there any reason not to solder these connections? Not sure how gas affects the solder but I wouldn't think its any different than the normal metal contacts sitting in the fluid.
Should work, I mean there are other connections in there too and they work....

PM me if the $12 fix doesn't work, I have my old sending unit doing nothing in the basement and you can have it and cannibalize it for the price of shipping only.