Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Hatch Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear Hatch Weatherstripping

Folks, wondering what is the best weatherstripping to order and from where? I have found that mine is in much need of replacement being a 1989. I found that mine is causing leaks in the rear cargo area becuase the water is sitting at the top part of the hatch and not running down like it should. I have since cleared that problem but while the water sits above the hatch it is leaking through the seal. Plus its old and needs freshened up some.

I have found a few online: Mopar, Crown, and OMIX, but wondering for those who have replaced one, did you have good results? I want to pull the trigger on this ASAP to stop my leak so I need some expert advice!

Last edited by XJIrish4x4; 01-22-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Also, are these stuck on with some kind of adhesive? I looked at mine and it doesn't appear to be screwed in any place except held in in some areas with the interior moulding maybe but I was not sure how to remove it yet.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'm in the same boat with wanting to replace mine, but it's not nearly a high priority for me.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Yea I wouldn't care either but up here in the PACNORWEST it rains too much and I'm tired of the water build up in the back cargo area or having to put down rags. Good thing my floor is bedlined back there to protect it but still.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Mine is just bad at the bottom near the hatch "pin", so no real leaking issues. I'd like to do the driver's door too since it's drafty, but again, it's not leaking water into the interior so it's not yet a priority.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

I guess I'm just gonna have to pick one a s trial it offering advice once I have it if it seems none here had any experiences.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

I'm sure that somebody has done the seals before, keep the thread active for a couple days.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L I6

I've recently done the seals (both door seals and window seals) on my XJ.

For the rear hatch seal I bought the Omix Ada one from Quadratec.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/912303_68.htm

I bought the door seals from there as well.

The seals are fairly good - they seem good quality and the hatch closes/ compresses them nicely.

I am also in the PNW and I replaced my seals to keep the water out (old ones were rotten and leaking). The new ones have held up for almost a year and have done a good job of sealing the water & noise out.

To install, you should loosen or remove the nearby interior panels (the interior panels help retain the seals). Pull the old one off. Clean the seam. I cleaned it with alcohol/ solvent and scuffed & scraped the old weatherstripping adhesive off. You have to cut the new seal to length. I dry fitted the seals and cut it with some extra length; maybe 1" or so. You'll get a feel for how much it compresses so just take that into consideration. It's easier to work with when it's shorter. You can always cut it a little long (but easier to work with) and cut it to length when you are done installing most of the length of the seal. I compressed the seal as much as I could so it isn't under tension when installed. I know these things shrink a bit over time, so this helps mitigate that. Put the seam/ cut on the bottom by the latch. Do not put the seam on the top.

I used automotive weatherstrip adhesive. It's a yellow, gooey stuff. This held up well. This is the stuff I used:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pe...-0383746p.html

It's super easy to do. You'll figure it out. It makes a HUGE difference and it's amazing not having water pool up in the Jeep now.

If you want to do other seals, let me know. I can try to dig up the PN list I used. I replaced almost all of the door/ window seals on my XJ, including the cowl seal.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Hey thanks again Moonsandals. That information right there is very useful. I hope others can learn from this too. I figured I would need to loosen up some of the interior panels so at least I was in the right direction o thinking there. That is going to get put on order today. I need more seals but I'm more concerned with the rear. By the way what year was your Jeep your parting out?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
Hey thanks again Moonsandals. That information right there is very useful. I hope others can learn from this too. I figured I would need to loosen up some of the interior panels so at least I was in the right direction o thinking there. That is going to get put on order today. I need more seals but I'm more concerned with the rear. By the way what year was your Jeep your parting out?
No problem!

I'm offloading parts from my 1991 Limited XJ; but I'm not parting the entire thing. I'm just getting rid of parts that I replaced. I bought some parts locally on Craigslist (dash, etc) and I'm getting rid of the original parts from my XJ that I removed.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by moonsandals
I used automotive weatherstrip adhesive. It's a yellow, gooey stuff. This held up well. This is the stuff I used:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pe...-0383746p.html
Doesn't have to be Yellow...

Old 01-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Doesn't have to be Yellow...

Good point! I bought the yellow stuff because that's what was available on my way home from work one day. If this was available then I'd probably have bought this instead.

Actually, now that I look at it, the one I linked to, while I am sure is the one I have, says it's black and not yellow. So I probably have something much different than I stated in my post above. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference, but black would have blended much easier into the weatherstripping so it just looks nicer.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks!