Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'96 Cherokee SE no keyless entry??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default '96 Cherokee SE no keyless entry??

Greetings all!
I finally got into a Cherokee for the first time! I have had ZJ, WJ and just recently sold my WK. Feels good to be on the dark side! Brand new to the forum and super stoked to start my build. First problem to run across.... I am like 90% sure my XJ has no keyless entry. I have a pretty basic interior for a 96, old "track" style a/c module, original radio was only am/fm... no cassette even lol, no overhead console (only the single dome light), but I do have power locks and windows. My questions are:

1. Do I not have keyless entry since I am absent of the IR Keyless System?? ("eye in the sky") lol
2. Is it possible to add on and OEM, or a close to OEM as possible, system without adding an overhead console?
3. If it does require the entire console, will my model with so little features have the proper connections?

I really want to get a RKE system ASAP, because I have fresh paint and don't want to scratch the doors up form missing the key hole...lol. Please help XJ wizards. Thanks in advance!