Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 XJ won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default 95 XJ won't start

Hello All,

I stumbled across this forum, while trying to troubleshoot my current dilemma. I've owned this Jeep since November '04, and for the most part "Big Red" has been an outstanding vehicle, as I've kept up with the Preventative Maintenance, while replacing only the water pump, and radiator. The status quo remained happily until last Saturday. As I was driving home from work, I turned a corner, and she fell flat on her face. I haven't been able to start her since. After I had it towed home, I began to trouble shoot the problem, and quickly found that I didn't have any gas in the rail. I completely changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel silter and fuel relay. No dice, wouldn't start. I enlisted my neighbor and we began troubleshooting in further detail, and found that the ignition coil was cracked and shot. So we replaced the ignition coil, pick up, rotor bug. The plugs are next, to complete the tune up, but they were not an issue prior to the motor dying. Many folks have suggested that the timing chain broke, and all I can say is that the bug points at No. 1 and the No. 1 Cylindar is at TDC. There is fuel in the rail and the ignition coil is energized, when the key is on, but she just won't crank over. Could the overall problem to this be a crank sensor? I am currently running out of options. I would very much appreciate any help that you may be able to provide. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If you are getting power to everything but nothing happens when go to turn the key than yes i would say it would proboly be the crank shaft trigger.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

A easy way to tell if it's the CPS malfunction is testing for spark and injector pulse.
If neither exist then that would most likely be the problem.

Moved thread to OEM Tech: