Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 XJ Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 XJ Starter Problem

I have a 95 Cheroke Sport with a starter problem. I has it replaced about 6 months ago because the starter wouldn't run at all. The Jeep was taken off of the road about 3 months ago and hasn't been driven. Tried to start it and now the new starter is intermittent. Didn't get much use out of it. Is there something else other than the starter that could be bad like a solenoid? The replacement starter is a rebuilt which tells me that it could be junk painted silver to look new.
I'm pretty sure that the ignition switch is okay.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Well the silonoid is built into the starter its the thing that all your wires connect to. You sure you got wires all hooked up correctly that run to the starter? Are you getting power in the cab? You might check your battery connections... Make sure they are tight and clean. Do you have a volt/ohms meter?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by cmartin2112
Well the silonoid is built into the starter its the thing that all your wires connect to. You sure you got wires all hooked up correctly that run to the starter? Are you getting power in the cab? You might check your battery connections... Make sure they are tight and clean. Do you have a volt/ohms meter?
Definately getting power to the cab. The Jeep ran fine for 3 months before Itook it off the road. It has been idle for about 3 months. I tried rapping on the solinoid with a hammer. It actually started today, but like I said it is intemittent. When I turn on the key to start it I can hear the fuel pump (I think).
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by finiteguy
Definately getting power to the cab. The Jeep ran fine for 3 months before Itook it off the road. It has been idle for about 3 months. I tried rapping on the solinoid with a hammer. It actually started today, but like I said it is intemittent. When I turn on the key to start it I can hear the fuel pump (I think).
so.. you turn the key, but the starter doesn't spin? I'd check your NSS. Try to start with shifter in neutral maybe. A dirty NSS can be intermittent.
Turn on the key and short the two wires on the solenoid (a remote starter switch would be best) if it starts right up, that rules out the starter/solenoid. . and you can look at the NSS and ignition switch.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kjc

so.. you turn the key, but the starter doesn't spin? I'd check your NSS. Try to start with shifter in neutral maybe. A dirty NSS can be intermittent.
Turn on the key and short the two wires on the solenoid (a remote starter switch would be best) if it starts right up, that rules out the starter/solenoid. . and you can look at the NSS and ignition switch.
This may not be the safest way to test the solenoid but could he try to jumper the terminals on the solenoid with the key to the on postion? I have never tried it on a jeep but I do it all the time on my full size bronco.

To add to the NSS thing try wiggiling your shifter around when you have it park and neutral while turning key...
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by cmartin2112
This may not be the safest way to test the solenoid but could he try to jumper the terminals on the solenoid with the key to the on postion? I have never tried it on a jeep but I do it all the time on my full size bronco.

To add to the NSS thing try wiggiling your shifter around when you have it park and neutral while turning key...
Tried wiggiling the shifter and start in nuetral. did no good. still intermitttant.
Can the solenoid be replaced without changing the starter? Looks like its all one part.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by finiteguy
Tried wiggiling the shifter and start in nuetral. did no good. still intermitttant.
Can the solenoid be replaced without changing the starter? Looks like its all one part.
Yeah its probably not the NSS then. No... I think its a all in one deal... I can walk you through how to test the starter if you want...
Old 11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Jeeps never cease too mske someone feel stupid.
This hss been going on on my 95xj all week.. Plenty of power.. Turn key.. Nothing, no click no dimming of lights .. Nothing. I jumped my starter when it wouldnt crank and sometimes it crunk with the key. I was going through the threads todsy and saw someone with the same problem. .. Did what thry did.. Go to a parts store and get a can of electrical contact cleaner.. Take all tgr fuses and relays out of the fusr box behind the battery... Remember where they go, spay yhe cleaner in all of the fuse holes.. Replace fuses and relays.. Fires right up.