Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 xj randomly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 95 xj randomly won't start

I've posted about this a while back, came to found it was my Park/Neutral starting switch, so I found a walk-through online on how to repair them. Three to four months have gone by and the issue is back but more sporadic. Occasionally when I go to start my Cherokee after it's been running for a while (such as turning it off for 10 minutes to run into the store), I get nothing when I try restarting. The starter doesn't engage. I don't hear any clicks. I literally get nothing. If the radio is on, it turns off as well as the dash lights until I stop trying to start the vehicle. If I sit with the key off (not sure if that's coincidence) for about 10 min and try to start again, all is good and she starts right up.

As I said above, I'm thinking it's the Park/Neutral starting switch acting up again and I'm probably going to have to replace it. However, before dropping $160 for the part I want to make sure it's not an issue with my starter or the solenoid. I believe I remember someone suggesting that possibly being the culprit. How would I go testing the starter/solenoid?

To troubleshoot so far, when I have the issue I attempt to start in neutral but have the same result as if I attempted to start in park. I've also checked if the reverse lights come on and they do. However, when I originally had this issue about 3 months ago, I had all the same symptoms as described above except it would NEVER start in neutral. Now, as long as it's not acting up, it will start in neutral no problem. I've replaced the starter relay as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

so i looked in the FSM and it says to check for continuity in the solenoid, however, considering i usually only have a 10 minute window before everything starts functioning properly again, i don't know how well this will work. i believe the starter needs to come off in order to check. i'm really leaning towards this being the NSS considering it's given me problems in the past. does anyone have any other suggestions on testing/determining if it's the NSS or the starter solenoid?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

heres a good link for rebuilding your nss
and your starter can be pulled pretty easy and autozone will test it for free
Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

This will show how to repair the NSS and adjust it after installation. http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/1-2swremov.htm
Old 06-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8

This might seem a bit too easy, but check your ground connection at the battery, and at the frame from the battery. I was having that problem a few months ago, and my ground terminal was corroded a bit, and the clamp wasn't on very tight. Cleaned and tightened it, and all was well...