Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 xj need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default 95 xj need some help please

ok so i have a 95 xj an been having some problems with it the issue is i turn it on an doesnt want to start she cranks an everything but i try it a couple times after an hour or so an it starts up fine but when i turn the heater on the voltage drops an it drops even sometimes when i drive it stalled 3 times so far ive replaced the alternator, battery, all the fuses, fuel pump an filter an even my ignition switch an the cylinder idk what else to ive read a couple thread about the cps but idk any ideas??
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

With mentioning that the voltage drop and stalling, I suspect that you still have a weak charging system. The engine management system hates it when available voltage is low and stalling is a common symptom when that happens.

What exactly is it reading at the dash voltage gauge?

With a healthy charging system and battery, at idle speed you should be in the 13.5 to 14.0 volt range. You can also easily verify this with a meter, putting one lead on each of the battery posts in the DC Volt range.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by offroadsurfr21
ok so i have a 95 xj an been having some problems with it the issue is i turn it on an doesnt want to start she cranks an everything but i try it a couple times after an hour or so an it starts up fine but when i turn the heater on the voltage drops an it drops even sometimes when i drive it stalled 3 times so far ive replaced the alternator, battery, all the fuses, fuel pump an filter an even my ignition switch an the cylinder idk what else to ive read a couple thread about the cps but idk any ideas??
Sounds like you replaced all the parts you need to get it to crank, but how 'bout regular tune-up parts..? cap, rotor, plugs 'n wires.. and of course the old 'inspect and clean all grounds' spiel.
Turning on your heater causing voltage drop could indicate a weak alternator.. but since you said it's new, maybe just a 'too loose' accessory belt. They seem to need to be extra tight.
A new quality CPS certainly wouldn't hurt, but i'd try basic tune-up parts first.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Engine: 4.0l

k thanks for the help guys did a basic tune up an found out the new ignition switch was faulty so changed that out an she started up right away
Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

I have a 95 that needed a new ignition a little while ago. Is check the ends of the power lead to the battery, mine had so much acid in it that it was losing volts