Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 xj keeps blowing fuse for the fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000, 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 95 xj keeps blowing fuse for the fuel pump

Hi, I've been looking on here for some info or advice on a problem with the 95 xj my sisters driving, but i haven't found an answer yet. I'm hoping someone on here might have some insight or advice.
It quit running one day, we thought it was the fuel pump. but it was the big fuse under the hood for the fuel pump. changed the fuse and it would run for a few minutes and blow the fuse. or it would blow the fuse as soon as you started it. checked all the wires, couldn't find anything so we changed the fuel pump.
It ran fine for 4 weeks, then same thing, we put it on a trailer and took it to a local garage. (it's really cold and snowy and i hate to work on one out in the snow) they put in a fuse, it blew, they put in a second fuse, checked all the wires to the fuel pump, it didn't blow the fuse, so they said they couldn't find a problem.
we got it back last night, she drove it on her mail rt today, the fuse blew, on the exact same dirt road we just towed it from. she tried another fuse, it popped as soon as it started to turn over. so hauling it home on the trailer again now.
any ideas? could it be that the fuel pump was bad and is again? it was an advance auto fuel pump. they say carquest, i say they probably just put airtex in a different box. could it be something else that's on that fuse.?
Old 03-11-2017, 05:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Unplug pump see if fuse blows. If it does check wireing along frame for bad spots shorting out if not suspect pump.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It's possible that it's a fuel pump, but new pump w/ the same problem not likely; but could still happen. A higher likely hood is a rubbed wire shorting out from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump. rumbling down rough roads finds the bad spot in the wire. I believe it comes out of the fuse panel green and white and changes to orange at the fuel pump. The colors may change inside the harness more than once. It is a Jeep.Ha Ha.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Is the fuel pump meant to be grounded on the chassis?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:51 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I had and bought and installed an Airtex pump a few years back that was bad as in dangerous. Same issue as you only the fuse didn't blow if I had the pump unplugged so we took it back out for inspection. The wire insulation was so thin it had rubbed a hole and was shorting out on the pump housing and blowing the fuse. Thank God it was just blowing the fuse and not the jeep itself. I will never buy Airtex again. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2021, 03:15 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check ur 02 sensor next to the exhaust....its common for the wire to get heat up and create a short...= crank no start issues. Took me a while while looking at wiring schematics. It will also blow up ur 30amp fuse known eng control 1. If you think its ur fuel pump it's that damn 02 sensor shorting.