Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 Standard Tranny (QUICK Quest-PLZ HELP!)

Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Red face 95 Standard Tranny (QUICK Quest-PLZ HELP!)

Hey Everybody! I'm a long-time lurker since I got my '95 Jeep Cherokee about a year ago. Sorry for never posting otherwise, but being inexperienced, I've never had anything of substance to contribute.

My gears started to feel like metal-on-metal & I decided to drain my tranny fluid. BUT I can't figure out where to put the new fluid (it's a standard, so it's my understanding that it must be done under the car-not under the hood).

I found the plug easily, drained it, but I can't find the hole to refill with the tube that goes from the bottle.

Is there a bolt to remove?!? Where is it!?! I see 1 or 2 I suspect...

BUT I DON'T WANT TO SCREW THIS UP!!!!

Thank you, thank you....THANK YOU!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l H.O.

Your drain plug is on the passenger side and the fill is on the drivers side of thr trans housing right where the slave cylinder sticks out. The fill is the same size nut as the drain.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Thank you for the reply!
But it's different than that. The drain plug was directly under the transmission (perfectly in the center of). I turned it & the fluid poured out. It was the right one-I know because it was a magnetic plug, which attracts the bits/pieces of metal that shave-off from the normal wear & tear of the gears.

There are plugs that have "DO NOT REMOVE" which I obviously don't want to remove. There is a bolt I suspect could be it, but there is literally a wire attached to the bolt. I thusly can't remove it. Have you ever heard or seen such a thing? Seems bizarre to me...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!!!!

Edit: The only other similar bolt is higher-up almost where the trans goes into the the car (just below the shifter). That bolt seems too high on up to be the right one.

Can anyone help me!!?! Thanks XJHAWK!

Last edited by topez; 09-03-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: amendment
Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Pull the shifter & dump 3.7 quarts of GL3 down it.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM

Whoa! That's the first time I've heard that! I wouldn't even know where to start but I'll hop on utube & see what's what. Anyone else heard of this method?

I'd still prefer to refill by this darn bolt if I could ever find it. SOMEONE on here know's what's up. Please help me!

Also, Big D, you mentioned GL3. I got SAE 80W-90 for this job. I've read that's the best for a *standard tranmission* That sounds right to you Big D, huh?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Big David
Pull the shifter & dump 3.7 quarts of GL3 down it.
Yes this is an easy way.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:05 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

this should help, you should always make sure you can remove the fill plug before draining .

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/fluids-1.htm
Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by topez
Whoa! That's the first time I've heard that! I wouldn't even know where to start but I'll hop on utube & see what's what. Anyone else heard of this method?
Yup. It's a massive pain since the whole center console needs to be pulled too, but I've done it twice because I'm too cheap/lazy/myopic to buy a pump.

I'd still prefer to refill by this darn bolt if I could ever find it. SOMEONE on here know's what's up. Please help me!
Name:  AX-15FillPlugLocation.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  45.4 KB

Driver's side, should be 15/16"

Also, Big D, you mentioned GL3. I got SAE 80W-90 for this job. I've read that's the best for a *standard tranmission* That sounds right to you Big D, huh?
No absolutely not. The stuff on the shelves is API GL-5. It's designed primarily for hypoid gears (axles) and has very high amounts of sulphur Extreme Pressure anti-scuffing additives. This matters because this oil is corrosive to the brass bits inside the AX-15.

If you want to treat your transmission right fill it with some Redline MT-90, Redline MTL, Royal Purple SychroMax, Pennzoil Synchromesh, or similar. Beware that AC Delco Synchromesh is too thin.

Unfortunately the lubricant spec for our trannies is no longer in vogue so the only option really left is specialty oil. API GL-5 is poison for these things and 10w30 isn't appropriate (you'll see it mentioned because Chrysler stopped carrying the correct fluid the minute the transmissions were all out of warranty). My local NAPA just had the MT-90 on the shelf. Stuff works amazingly well.

This link might help you out: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...change-865520/

Ignore the YJ-specific bits and the 10w30.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help.
Thanks: "salad" (especially you, salad) & mudpen & Big David & SoCalX & xjhawk.

Thanks ya'll!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 PM

UPDATE: I pretended to be a mechanic, & called the Chrysler Jeep service depot.

I was told something I hadn't gotten here:

The mechanic said, w/out hesitation, that the fill hole IS AT THE TOP, just before the trans itself meets the car body. I pulled the plug, & it was indeed the proper plug as there was oily residue & it was magnetized w/ small metal bits as expected.

This is just in case anyone else had this issue as I did, cause I hadn't heard it from anyone here. I thought maybe the trans had been replaced, & thusly it was different...but no, the mechanic at Chrysler knew exactly what was up.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR TIME, YOU DIDN"T HAVE TO & YOU TRIED ANYWAY! THANKS!!!