Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 XJ 2 door help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 XJ 2 door help

I just bought a 94 2 door cherokee 5spd, 4cyl i need help locating some stuff to buy

1. Drivers side door or window. Would like to try to find doors with the movable vents. I cant seem to find anything on this that doesnt molest my wallet lol.
2. Belt tensioner. I cant find anything on this.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Both of those are tough. I have a 96 2 door and parts like that are hard to find. Junkyard is your best bet and you might have to hit that perfect day that they just rolled a 2 door out that week and you find what you want.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jhc7399
Both of those are tough. I have a 96 2 door and parts like that are hard to find. Junkyard is your best bet and you might have to hit that perfect day that they just rolled a 2 door out that week and you find what you want.
I figured that was the case -__- never had a car that is so heavily modified by the community have such scarcity on stock parts lol.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jhc7399
Also do you know what the difference is between a sail mounted door versus some other kind of door?
Old 03-27-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Mike Husted
I figured that was the case -__- never had a car that is so heavily modified by the community have such scarcity on stock parts lol.
Many XJ enthusiasts modify so heavily that they have little to no desire for many stock parts. This is especially true since wheeling is a punishing activity for the vehicle and so many owners seem to have little to no regard for damage/cosmetics.

There is no reproduction of the parts you're seeking that I'm aware of. You'll have to hunt scrap yards, ebay, craigslist, etc for them.

Belt tension for the 2.5 is adjusted manually with an adjustment screw/bolt. I'm not 100% if it's the power steering pulley or an idler that you adjust.

Last edited by mschi772; 03-27-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:37 PM

on the 4cyl you are talking about a serpentine belt?if so if it's like my 98 tj there are two pulleys one is an idler and the other is on a jack screw and adjusts for tension.if it is only the pulley itself any parts store should have a listing,just have an idea as to the diameter.doors with working vents try older model.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by zjhomme
on the 4cyl you are talking about a serpentine belt?if so if it's like my 98 tj there are two pulleys one is an idler and the other is on a jack screw and adjusts for tension.if it is only the pulley itself any parts store should have a listing,just have an idea as to the diameter.doors with working vents try older model.
I realized that last night. I took it to pep boys to have the belt changed cause i didnt feel like doing it and they told me the tensioner bolt was loose. So ill probably get new idler pulley and replace it and tighten the bracket(?) They said all the pulleys looked a little wonky so i might just put all new pulleys on it. And down the road i might consider a 4.0 swap if i find a cheap running block/parts car.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

Check with Olympic 4x4. Oly4x4.com
Old 04-01-2016, 08:19 AM

I gotta figure out how I'm gonna get the belt off to change the idler. The belt is tensioned through the pump from what I can tell but the bolt to adjust it is jacked up. Like it's always loose in the threaded hole and it doesn't do anything when I tighten it or loosen it. I'm considering putting a new ps pump on it and new tensioner bracket but Im 90% sure I need to loosen the tension first which might make this a *****. More then likely I'm gonna end up changing majority of the pulleys. Just because they're all a little banged up. No idea how the hell the guy did that.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 PM

did you loosen the bolt at the center of the pulley?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 AM

did you loosen the bolt at the center of the pulley?
No I never thought to do that haha I'm dumb. You mean like leave the belt on and change it that way? That won't be a ***** to do?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Mike Husted
No I never thought to do that haha I'm dumb. You mean like leave the belt on and change it that way? That won't be a ***** to do?
the bolt in the center of the pulley keeps it from loosening up while driving. You loosen the bolt in the pulley then the tensioner pulley will start to move it in and out.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
the bolt in the center of the pulley keeps it from loosening up while driving. You loosen the bolt in the pulley then the tensioner pulley will start to move it in and out.
AHHH okay. I'll give it a shot this week/end