Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 Hard Idle and Death Shake

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 Hard Idle and Death Shake

Hey everyone,

I recently changed my old battery for an Optima Red Top, changed my Spark Plugs to Bosch Platinum Plus, and changed my oil to a Bosch filter and Castrol GTX High Mileage. Im still having the same issue, before and after.

When starting the XJ, It takes a few cranks, but still starts. Its a really hard idle, as in the entire car shudders. I also hear a misfire (or what I believe to be a misfire) after a few minutes of idleing, and also feel it while driving.

This brings me to my other issue... Ive read around, and Ive found out that its called the "Death Shake". At around 55 MPH, no matter road, pavement, or dirt, the entire thing shakes as if its going to flip. I own a 1 ton linkage from JCRoffroad (not installed yet, still stock on the jeep), and I am hearing (possibly) a knocking in the steering box. What needs to be done to fix this issue, aside from an allignment and a balancing? Im using the 15" rims and 33" tires.

Any help would be amazing.
As a note, this is the first vehicle Im dealing with myself, so as basic as an explanation, the better. I have the Hayes manual if that would help me out as well.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

What the hell is a hard idle? Did you change the distributor cap, rotor and wires? Those Bosch plugs ain't helping either.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Not sure what to actually call it, but it seems as if the engine is struggling to work. Im having these issues less since I changed the battery and plugs. I have not changed the distributor cap or rotor. What plugs do you suggest?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

NGK plugs will work well, most will say to run Champions, but their quality is poor from one plug to the next. You don't need fancy platinum plugs for the ignition system your Jeep has. Set the gap to .035.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I'd test the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) An analog meter works best. Unplug the connector and use the meter on ohms. The needle should move smoothly as you slowly twist the shaft back and forth. The voltage to the sensor can also be tested this way, just switch from ohms to volts and turn on the key. Of the two, the sensor is the most likely suspect.

"Death wobble" can be caused by ANY looseness in ANY related steering/suspension component(s). Look around under there, you'll most likely find some loose/worn parts. Even worn bushings in the control arms can cause it. All components tight = no more wobble. Alignment/balance won't help much if parts are worn out. Hope this helps