Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 Cherokee w/tranny problem & high Oil pressure - related?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 Cherokee w/tranny problem & high Oil pressure - related?

Hi there.

First post and looking for a little help. I have a 94 Cherokee Sport w/126k 2dr 2wd. Teenage son was driving it and the transmission started slipping. Once heated (or driving for ten minutes) it just goes completely out of gear. No lower gears, no reverse, etc. Just slipping like it is in neutral. Happens every time you drive it. Pull off the road (no choice of course) and let it sit for about ten minutes and it goes again. Only last about ten minutes before it starts again.

I just drained the tranny fluid and it was full and looked pretty dirty. Seems like it is shot and needs a rebuild? Any thoughts or next steps?

Not sure if this is related, but strange to me. The oil pressure is higher than before. It sat for about two months needing a new windshield and the reverse lights working to pass inspection. Had a new windshield installed and the shop wanted $300 to fix the tranny switch for the reverse lights. Looked it up online and found out a lot of times it just gets gunked up and someone had a play by play with pictures on removing/cleaning the part, so I did it and it works fine. After everything was back and it was on the road, the pressure runs about 60-75 on the gauge. Before it was 40 to 50. Oil has been changed, but no changes. The gauges are coming in and out (speedo and tach), but I think that is just the switch on the tranny going bad. Could this be related? Not sure, but I don;t know why it would change all of a sudden. It has always been a strong motor.

Thanks for the help or opinions!
john
Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0
Default TRANS ISSUES

Before you get to far into wanting to replace or rebuild you trany, i would buy some sea foam trans tune flush. Add it to the trans and try to drive in all the gears. If you don't want to chance a break down you can pull the e-brake, hold the brake pedal and put it in each gear and feather the gas for a bout 20 seconds each gear. N then pull the pan, not just drain. Change the pan gasket, filter, and clean the valve body with brake clean. Then put it all back together and add atf-4. Give this a shot then go to the next step
Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Just back...
Drained the pan and added 5 quarts. Went for a quick drive and it seems to be doing better. Will go for a longer drive and see how it holds up. Could it really be going completely out just because it was dirty and old fluid? If it does better on this run, I will go ahead and do the gasket, filter and clean valve body. It does seem a little noisey from the tranny, but this could just be my mind.

Thanks,
john
Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM

I didn't make it far. Trans is shot I think. Slipping, making noise and when I run it hard (on the way home) it spit out a bunch of fluid around the bell housing I think hitting the exhaust and a nice bloom of smoke. I think it is ATF. Not sure how the trans cooler works, so it could be coolant I guess if it is on that side. Maybe a cash for clunkers vehicle? Will have to think about, but I don't think I want to put any money into it.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:04 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0
Default TOO BAD MAN.....

Sorry to hear it didn't work out buddy. Sorry i couldn't be of assistance
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 PM

No worries. It's been a series of bad car months (two deer hits and the minivan is shifting hard). My problem is I don't want to spend a lot on it and it is 2wd. The tranny is a AW 30-43LE. Hard to find I think. Any suggestions on getting a used one cheap? I think I can put it in if I found one. Only place I have found is EverDrive for $700. Don't know how long it will take to find it in a junkyard or on Craigslist, but would rather spend $300. I am also a little concerned about the high oil pressure on the motor. Still don't know why it changed and if it is only a gauge thing?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Default Trans is working

Just an update. Finally replaced the filter and it seems to be working. No metal or flaking in the pan, so maybe it was just a clog filter. Time will tell.

Thanks!