Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93XJ- No click, no crank, no start, get a ride to work

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 93XJ- No click, no crank, no start, get a ride to work

I'd like to start this thread to help me navigate through a no start issue that cropped up last week. Jeep was running fine, starting every time, then started it in the cold and let it warm up (idle) for about 15-20 minutes, drove it less than a mile from work to the grocery store, and wouldn't start.

Turn key, everything lights up, radio, fans, gauges cycle, no click from the starter, no crank from the starter, no start from the starter, no jeep for a week.

I've read this thread:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/non...writeup-71401/

and am inclined to believe my problem is in the neutral safety switch. My question is, can i test this hypothesis by turning the key to "run" and putting it in reverse? If the reverse lights do not activate, the switch is definitely bad and needs cleaning, right?

No lights, bad switch?

Right?

Diagnostic work attempted thus far:
Turned on the headlights and cranked (the key); they didn't dim, held steady.
Turned the key to run, shift to reverse, no lights. (Not sure if they're supposed to come on if the engine is off)
Thrashing and smashing the dashboard and other interior elements in frustrated release.

Anxiously awaiting assistance pls respond

1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 4x4
Old 01-21-2015, 02:01 AM

Year: 1994

Maybe even the ignition switch is a problem. (?)
Did you hold the key in start position and move the shift lever through the gear selection ?
(assuming it's an auto trans )

Some folks here have cleaned the contacts on the neutral switch with good results.
With the selector in PARK, (for safety) you could jump the big terminal on the starter to the small terminal, to check if the solenoid and the starter itself works, by by-passing the ignition and neutral switch that way.
If the starter works that way, you will have at least eliminated that part, and can continue on to possible switch problems.

Hope some of this helps...
Old 01-21-2015, 02:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Try this. While holding the key over on start, jiggle the shifter around, both neutral and in park, see if it starts.

My NSS is gummy. Fine when hot. Fine in the AM if I parked it hot. Problem is If I just "re-park", it will stick. (maybe like you going to the market). I know mine. I hold the key over and push the shifter forward in park, works every time, I'm not even fixing it!

And...I think the reverse lights should work with the engine off.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 01-21-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Like Bill points out, the NSS can be cleaned/adjusted. Here's some links>

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 01-21-2015, 12:21 PM

Thank you for the prompt responses...

Ignition switch could very well be the problem, tilt was broken when I took ownership, so the steering is loose and wheel moves all over the place. BUT, when the key is turned all the way to start, the gauges cycle (temp) which leads me to believe it's not the ignition switch. I could very probably be wrong, and will have to investigate troubleshooting ignition switches.

I have held the key in start and moved the shifter through the gear selection. As well as liberal application of frustrated jiggling in each park and neutral.

Tried to bridge the starter solenoid in the parking lot where it died, but couldn't get a screwdriver in just right, this will probably be my next step, before pulling things apart.

Bookmarked those links, also.

Again, thank you, I'll start with jumping the starter solenoid, still wondering about those reverse lights....
Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 PM

Year: 1999

have you looked over all battery connections? terminals on the battery, make sure the wires arent corroded, check at starter as well. clean with a wire brush as necessary
Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 PM

Reviving my thread here..

Like an idiot i bridged the solenoid from ignition pole to positive pole without the keys in the on position, and the starter just spun, but didn't engage. Now i have replaced the starter/solenoid with a new one from autozone for a cool $60, and the problem isn't fixed.

(should note, with the new starter in place, and the keys in the on position bridging the ignition pole and constant 12v pole started the engine)

to the best of my ability, using this information,

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

I bypassed the NSS for troubleshooting reasons, (still no reverse lights in reverse while engine is off?)

No dice.

Which leads me to believe it is the ignition switch. The steering column is f'd up and loose so i wouldn't be surprised.

Can anyone direct me to some reliable threads/links on ignition switch troubleshooting/bypass? Push button start maybe?

HELP! WE GOT 8 INCHES OF SNOW TODAY
Old 02-01-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

did you try to start it in neutral or any other gear besides park? I didn't see if you mentioned that. when I had mine and it was wet out with a cold start,it started and I pulled down the driveway and turned it off, then a few minutes later turn the key and nothing. so stuck it in neutral and it started.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by redmuck
did you try to start it in neutral or any other gear besides park? I didn't see if you mentioned that. when I had mine and it was wet out with a cold start,it started and I pulled down the driveway and turned it off, then a few minutes later turn the key and nothing. so stuck it in neutral and it started.
yup i've tried neutral, park, jiggling the handle in all positions, bypassing the switch entirely with alligator clips connected to the spines that should indicate park...

i'd hotwire it if i knew how.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Dammit man. Did you replace the ignition, NSS? What happened? Do you still even have the Jeep?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

This man just needs a little closure lol...