Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cleaning Junction Box

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Cleaning Junction Box

I am looking at addressing some electrical issues, and I read that cleaning the junction box has helped others... but I am not sure what exactly that means... can anyone direct me to a guide or give me an overview?

My mechanical skills are improving (slowly), but electrical stuff is still pretty mysterious to me.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

What year is your Jeep?

What makes you think you need to clean your 'junction box'? What electrical issues?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:16 PM

Sorry, its a 1997 XJ 4.0 6 cylinder 4x4... need to put that on my signature.

We have a few different electrical oddities, headlights don't come on everytime you pull the switch, doors sometimes lock themselves (one time with the dogs INSIDE and windows UP), speaker cuts in and out, etc...
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Door locks and speakers : check the wiring where it runs between the door and the body. It's in a rubber bellows type tube, and it can get pretty flaky. You'll probably find some broken, or almost broken wires in there.

Door locks can also be the switches themselves. Lots of posts here on that topic.

Headlights? Probably the switch, but.... for all electrical oddities, a good place to start is in my sig, #1.

If you can ask whoever recommend cleaning your "junction" box what a junction box is, let us know.

If they mean the fuse box, or the PDC (next to the battery under the hood), well, blowing it out with compressed air and spraying it down with CRC Contact Cleaner isn't a bad idea, but it's probably not going to affect the problems you mentioned.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 AM

I forgot one of the biggest things... I had a friend who had his hand on the metal tubing of the AC system in the engine compartment, and when one of us shut the driver door, he felt an electric shock go through his hand.

ANY ideas what that could be???
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sounds like a broken wire in the door harness causing a short. Could be the culprit for the lock and speaker issues
Old 04-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Ok, I tore apart the front doors, and sure enough the passenger speaker wire was down to copper at a bend on both wires.

The rest are in remarkably good condition, even in the accordion doohickey.

Here is the post where the junction box cleaning is mentioned, still no idea what exactly that is: https://www.cnet.com/forums/post/364...-45623dec7405/

Is cleaning the PCM and fuse boxes just a matter of pulling the connectors and fuses, and cleaning with electrical cleaner?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

You cant clean the PCM. Well, unless you open it up and remove all the potting material. Best to leave that stuff alone unless you KNOW what you are doing, and why. The Junction Block is the thing inside the passenger side kick panel. Unless youve been boating, it should be ok. Hopefully. Should you feel it needs removed and cleaned (your choice), disconnect the battery first. Pull the connectors and check it for corrode teminals. If covered in green crusty stuff, you might need to replace it.

These are badly corroded Junction Blocks, one posted by CCken, and another by Salad.
http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...1594863711.jpg
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...ues-img242.jpg
Old 04-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cleaning a PCM is tricky work. We're here for you if something goes wrong.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by mtyson
Is cleaning the PCM and fuse boxes just a matter of pulling the connectors and fuses, and cleaning with electrical cleaner?
Fuse box, yes. PDC (the black box with fuses in it near the battery), yes.

THe PCM? Leave it alone. Disconnect (with the battery disconnected FIRST) the cable and clean the connectors, yes, but don't try to open it up and do anything inside.

See what this guy says? He's oversimplifying. I'm an engineer, and I looked into repairing mine. No dice. You really need special training, tools, and chemicals to do it right. Just don't mess with it.

Originally Posted by carcomputerexchange
Cleaning a PCM is tricky work. We're here for you if something goes wrong.