Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'93 XJ - Crank, but no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default '93 XJ - Crank, but no start

I've been experiencing a momentary loss of engine power which typically only happened (or was only noticed) when idle and in gear, like while at a stop light. These events seem to occur once or twice a day, but the engine always recovered before dying, giving a small lunge (in gear) while trying to re-adjust itself.

I started the engine at cold the other day, which ran normally for about a minute, then began to lose power, but this time, it didn't recover. I tried to restart the engine with no success.

I've verified fuel pressure in the rail and replaced the CPS with new OEM part, and even tried to reset the computer.

I removed the coil cable to check the spark per the shop manual instructions, but only saw a weak spark at about 1/8" to 1/4" distance to ground while cranking.

Could the coil be bad, or is there something else I should be looking at?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Billencar
I removed the coil cable to check the spark per the shop manual instructions, but only saw a weak spark at about 1/8" to 1/4" distance to ground while cranking.

Could the coil be bad?
Yes. You should have a strong, BLUE snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark.

Coils can be tested for primary and secondary resistances with a meter and a manual. Or replace it and cross your fingers.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

Ok, that was a good call. Changed out the coil and engine runs as usual, which is great. But still experiences that occasional momentary loss of power, then recovers.

Any idea what i can look at?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Billencar
Ok, that was a good call. Changed out the coil and engine runs as usual, which is great. But still experiences that occasional momentary loss of power, then recovers.

Any idea what i can look at?
1. Any check engine light? Even if the answer is no, I would look to see if you have any stored codes that might yield a clue. Below is how. Very easy on your vintage; takes about 1 minute!

2. Be sure all tuneup hardware is fresh. Plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter. The importance of solid tuneup hardware cannot be overstated.
-----------------------------------------
OBDI models (1991-1995) - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!