Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 4.0 xj blowing #9 10Amp fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation 93 4.0 xj blowing #9 10Amp fuse

as the post says, my xj keeps blowing the fuse in spot 9, which is a 10amp fuse which runs the dome lights off the switch and when the doors are open, runs the door locks and the radio power. it has blown it twice and both times are after it has sat for 2+ hours. any ideas?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

check for any shorts in the door switch. behind the radio. or at the lights. is everything off when this is happening or have the lights been on and the radio going.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by a1racer
check for any shorts in the door switch. behind the radio. or at the lights. is everything off when this is happening or have the lights been on and the radio going.
i'm finding it with a blown fuse when i go to drive it, so it's happening while everything is off, which is what makes no sense to me. i unlock the drivers door with the key and open it, and the dome light and power locks don't work.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Were you able to get an answer to your post? I had a similar problem where I would get in my jeep & discover that fuse is blown, put a new fuse & after a couple of weeks later it would blow. Well one day I ran out of 10amp fuses & put a 20amp & from that time on it stopped working completely. I checked the fuses under the hood as well. Hoping someone has a fix.

Last edited by nigeld_2b; 10-21-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L straight 6

i had this exact problem. i had a short in the wire harness that goes into the door. i went to the junk yard and replaced the entire thing for like 5 bucks. also look for shorts behind the radio, the dome light harness.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 AM

Thanks!!!! I'm going to check that out when I get a chance. This has been irritating me for a while now.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L, 242 CID HO
Default Couldn't keep a #9 fuse in my 94 XJ...til today.

I know this thread has been dormant for a while...but I picked up my 94 xj 2 weeks ago and after getting the steering column replaced (it was stolen from the PO and the thief did a number on the column shaft - I hate that I now know how to start a jeep without a key ) and getting the valve cover gasket replaced; the next item was the interior lights and the power lock switch - none were working and I thought these would be two separate circuit issues. Found out the #9 fuse controls the interior lighting, from the dome; to the cargo; to the courtesy under the dash; to the keyless entry module (the little black bulb in the headliner above the rear view mirror). I unplugged all of the components on the circuit and put a fuse in and was releived to see that it didn't blow. I knew then that one of the compoenents was at fault and not faulty wiring. Started from the back of the vehicle plugging the components back and reattaching them to their housing (ie. cargo light back to the headliner). Got them all in except the keyless entry module - I noticed that the circuit board was broken loose from the plastic housing and if placed back in the headliner would actually make contact with the exposed metal roof! Since I don't have a key FOB, I just disconnected the keyless entry module, placed it back in the headliner and I have all of my interior lights!!! And I now have my power locks!!! Evidently the keyless entry module ground was shorting the #9 cicuit and causing the power lock switches to fail.

Maybe this'll help someone else troubleshooting this issue.
The following users liked this post:
AidanW (06-13-2021)