Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 XJ Rear Axle Vent Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default 92 XJ Rear Axle Vent Bolt

Hey all,

So I just got my Cherokee not too long ago and haven't really driven it since I bought it because I've been fixing a bunch of other items on it. I finally got it all buttoned up (so I thought) and I went to start it and the brake pedal went to the floor and I heard brake fluid coming out of the rear. The fitting on the driver side steel brake line had broken off of the hub where it splits to both wheels, and the hub was no longer screwed to the axle. I got new steel lines and a new hose, but the rear vent bolt is nowhere to be found. After much use of my google-fu, it doesn't look like I can buy a new one (or even a used one apparently).

Any ideas on how what I could use to fix this? Also, just so that I can be driving in the meantime, would it be a terrible idea to drive it around without the hub screwed to the axle? Thanks in advance!

Edit: So I just learned a valuable lesson, reading the description in full rather than counting on the "part matcher" abilities of websites...it looks like this one works for my year of Cherokee when you read the description
Amazon Amazon
. This can definitely be deleted.

Last edited by Kanekutter05; 03-30-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: I'm dumb and don't know how to read apparently.