Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

91 Laredo 4.0 HO no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 91 Laredo 4.0 HO no start

Hey everyone! I recently acquired a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 HO. This car will become my son's first car and we are excited about being able to work on it and getting it up to be his DD. When we picked it up it wouldn't run but with some research on here I was able to swap out the fuel pump and get it running. Afterwards, we changed out the valve cover gasket and repainted the cover. When I went to crank it the other day though, it won't start. I was told that the starter was going bad before I got the jeep so when this happened, I figured it had finally gone out. Replaced the starter and a bad battery and now when you turn the key, it makes one click and then nothing. I've searched on here and was unable to find anything that seemed similar. Any ideas on what may be wrong? Thanks for letting us join and we look forward to posting some pics after its on the road....
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Have you cleaned all cable connections -- grounds, positive battery to starter and alternator, etc. Don't just look at them, disconnect and clean until shiny and reassemble dry or with Ox Gard or similar, not with di-electric grease. There are many threads on this led by Cruiser54. He is particularly concerned with Renix (pre '91) but his suggestions apply to all years.

There are obviously other things to consider but this needs to be done regardless, assuming you haven't already tackled it.

Since it is clicking, it probably is not the fuel pump ballast resistor, CPS or NSS.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

It's not impossible you got a bad starter. I know because I've sold some myself . Otherwise double check all the connections and clean as needed as mentioned.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L, In Line 6

Yep. Check the starter. Pull it out and take it back to have them test it. Then you can rule it out if it's good. Check fuses, relays etc. And especially check that you have good connections at the battery and starter. Jeeps are notorious for bad grounds. Once you learn about it, it can be dealt with.
Not being sarcastic, but are you Sure it's a 'click' from trying to start it? Lots of starting issues with the NSS? If you get a click like starter trying, then not the NSS.

=====================

I had a starter go bad from AZ after 2 months. It happens.

Last edited by jmrec100; 06-17-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L, In Line 6

Originally Posted by locodrivr8
Hey everyone! I recently acquired a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 HO. This car will become my son's first car and we are excited about being able to work on it and getting it up to be his DD. When we picked it up it wouldn't run but with some research on here I was able to swap out the fuel pump and get it running. Afterwards, we changed out the valve cover gasket and repainted the cover. When I went to crank it the other day though, it won't start. I was told that the starter was going bad before I got the jeep so when this happened, I figured it had finally gone out. Replaced the starter and a bad battery and now when you turn the key, it makes one click and then nothing. I've searched on here and was unable to find anything that seemed similar. Any ideas on what may be wrong? Thanks for letting us join and we look forward to posting some pics after its on the road....
Any update? If you find the problem, post it. Helps us all.
Thanks for joining. Always good to have another