Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

91 Cherokee intermittent shut down/no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 91 Cherokee intermittent shut down/no start

I have a 1991 Cherokee Laredo that has about 230k miles on it. It is pretty much stock. About a year ago, I was sitting at a red light about 10 minutes into the car being started for the day, and it just died. I went to start it and nothing happens. After about 1-2 minutes, it starts up and runs fine. No problems for a year. Then about 3 weeks ago, the same thing happens, and has happened 2 more times since.

It is always the same scenario. The car was started about 10 minutes earlier (first start of the day), runs fine, stopped at red light, engine stops, no starter function for about 1-2 minutes after it dies. When this happens and I try to restart, the dashboard lights up as usual when key turned to "RUN" position, but nothing happens when I go to "START" position. After a couple of minutes (with cars behind me honking horns), starts up fine and runs with no problems.

I am aware of the shift interlock switch on the automatic transmission, and am pretty good at dealing with it (usually just need to nudge shifter and then car starts fine). But that shouldn't stop the engine from running after it has been started (and for this new issue, nudging the shifter does nothing to help start the car). I am also aware of the crankshaft position sensor issues, but that should only kill the ignition, but not affect the starter from turning engine over afterward (plus I replaced this part with an OEM unit a few years ago as preventive maintenance).

I also have a remote start system hooked up, but that has all connections to run/start circuits stabbed on to original wires, so the relays in remote start system are parallel to the OEM ignition switch.

I have tried to research the circuits of the car, but have had no luck in finding a definite source of the problem. I was hoping that someone here would have some experience/knowledge of what would cause this problem.

Jim
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jvmarino
I have a 1991 Cherokee Laredo that has about 230k miles on it. It is pretty much stock. About a year ago, I was sitting at a red light about 10 minutes into the car being started for the day, and it just died. I went to start it and nothing happens. After about 1-2 minutes, it starts up and runs fine. No problems for a year. Then about 3 weeks ago, the same thing happens, and has happened 2 more times since.

It is always the same scenario. The car was started about 10 minutes earlier (first start of the day), runs fine, stopped at red light, engine stops, no starter function for about 1-2 minutes after it dies. When this happens and I try to restart, the dashboard lights up as usual when key turned to "RUN" position, but nothing happens when I go to "START" position. After a couple of minutes (with cars behind me honking horns), starts up fine and runs with no problems.

I am aware of the shift interlock switch on the automatic transmission, and am pretty good at dealing with it (usually just need to nudge shifter and then car starts fine). But that shouldn't stop the engine from running after it has been started (and for this new issue, nudging the shifter does nothing to help start the car). I am also aware of the crankshaft position sensor issues, but that should only kill the ignition, but not affect the starter from turning engine over afterward (plus I replaced this part with an OEM unit a few years ago as preventive maintenance).

I also have a remote start system hooked up, but that has all connections to run/start circuits stabbed on to original wires, so the relays in remote start system are parallel to the OEM ignition switch.

I have tried to research the circuits of the car, but have had no luck in finding a definite source of the problem. I was hoping that someone here would have some experience/knowledge of what would cause this problem.

Jim
Replaced recently or not it sounds like the CPS.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

But would a bad CPS prevent the starter from running?