Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 xj no start all of the sudden

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 89 xj no start all of the sudden

Hey guys I bought new champion plugs month ago been working on jeep got new head in was running before I started working on it never had problem starting it just idle was rough and loosing power somewhere well I got everything together and was running half *** good got idle pretty good still didn't have the power I thought she should...I remember I didn't gap my plugs when I put them in so I took them out one by one so I wouldn't not mix order up gapped them and I also cleaned the grounds everyone was talking about on tube and firewall well I started her up and he sounded very sharp and snappy , when she started she went to 2k rpm and stayed there has happen before and I shut down and turned back on and would fix the problem well she did this 3 times in a row I went went and moved tps a little tried to start her nothing.....just cranks and cranks very fast and snappy cranks....my question is could the ground refreshing have gave her more power then she was use to and blown a sensor ? I will replace cps if I can't find the problem and I know my tps is off and is why my idle isn't perfect. This happen last night and I'm on way home to look into it more i will let u guys know if it's getting spark or what not. Thank for the help guys
Old 12-10-2015, 06:46 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Set your tps properly and clean your iac. Learn about how to test your sensors before replacing them.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:48 PM

That will not cause my jeep to suddenly not start though correct. ..I have never had to turn key longer the. 4 to 5 seconds before it fired up even in her worst days I am getting a meter and going to check my sensors and stuff
Old 12-10-2015, 07:10 PM

You may be correct but the tps is easy enough to get spot on, I would start there first since that seems to be the last thing you touched. A clean iac is never a bad thing either. What plug gap did you use? I'm unsure but curious to know if that could be a part of the problem. Also check your map sensor and take a good look at the line going to the throttle body.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:12 PM

.35 I the map looked good vacuum is there...and after I did all of this it did crank 3 times I think the tps was acting up and was making it idle high so I restart it those times and all of the sudden just turn over and over and over
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 PM

Well I'm getting spark and I hit the tb with a shot of cc and it fired up I tried to do it again but to no luck....my fuel pump is kicking on like normal I don't have a meter to check the cps yet I guess I'll just change that and try
...I'm going to do a pressure test before that to see what I'm getting any other ideas?
Old 12-11-2015, 06:36 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by spudthemudstud
Well I'm getting spark and I hit the tb with a shot of cc and it fired up I tried to do it again but to no luck....my fuel pump is kicking on like normal I don't have a meter to check the cps yet I guess I'll just change that and try
...I'm going to do a pressure test before that to see what I'm getting any other ideas?
Test fuel pressure next.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:38 AM

Will do so this weekend cruiser thank you
Old 12-11-2015, 07:55 PM

I haven't got to the pressure test yet and I'm sorry guys....I did figure out that with 2 sprays of cc it starts up but revs high around 2500 steady and will stay running as if everything works it's just the turning on without help that gets me....I'm thinking my tps is causing it to stay reved like that but it never did that before so I don't know if I put it in gear it will drop down to about 1k but still feels like it's working itself to death It deff has alot more power the usual now it's just to much lol....does anyone know what would cause everything to work after the help of cc to start it?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:30 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by spudthemudstud
I haven't got to the pressure test yet and I'm sorry guys....I did figure out that with 2 sprays of cc it starts up but revs high around 2500 steady and will stay running as if everything works it's just the turning on without help that gets me....I'm thinking my tps is causing it to stay reved like that but it never did that before so I don't know if I put it in gear it will drop down to about 1k but still feels like it's working itself to death It deff has alot more power the usual now it's just to much lol....does anyone know what would cause everything to work after the help of cc to start it?
Doing the Tips may fix it then. Get to work.