Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 XJ 4.0 missing at idle and at speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 XJ 4.0 missing at idle and at speeds.

So driving home yesterday on the highway at 65 I noticed a few sputters. Not sure of what it was went home and cleaned my plugs (e3's), verified wires where good. Cap and rotor looked like it has seen better days so I replaced those with new. The missing didn't sounds as bad after that. Then checked around the engine some more and found out I have a blown o ring in one of my injectors. It was hissing almost sounded like a vacuum leak. Don't have extra injectors right now. But I went to start it this morning and was still missing at idle and when I went to drive it, it started missing really bad. As in I couldn't go uphill over 25 MPH it was missing that bad. And anytime I got on the gas it was hesitant as hell and missed like crazy. I checked the fuel filter to find nothing wrong. That was replaced about 6-8 months ago. I plan on upgrading to the 703 injectors soon. Now its gonna be real soon. Any sort of help from the xj gods would be appreciated and if you had this happen to you let me know what you did to correct it. Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Sounds like you already diagnosed it. Get a set of o-rings from the parts store.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Just wasn't sure if that's the only problem but ya I'm gonna get those upgraded here soon. Ill be in fallon NV for the next three weeks so she'll be sitting for a lil while
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

well... if its not the o-ring/injector issue, id be tempted to say something along the lines of an o2 sensor. before headaching over this, get it on a code reader and see what it says. even if your CEL isnt on, get a code reader on there and check. my downstream o2 was bad and it caused this bad hesitation, buck, chug and pop like a backfire from the manifold. unfortunatley this (along with ever other part of my air/fuel/spark delivery system) being replaced did not fix the problem. the new o2's (i did both the down and up stream) worked for a while, but soon the down stream was bad again, so i re-replaced that and its still acting very similar to before... so idk, these issues can be simple, or really frustrating, but start simple, get a code reader on there and if you have to throw parts at it, start cheap! good luck!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Was considering the O2 sensors as well but I don't even know if the 89 can be hooked up to a scanner???