Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Renix wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Renix wont start

Hi new to this forum but i am trying to figure out why my cherokee wont run. so here goes my symptoms: the motor will crank, it has fuel pressure, I am getting spark out of the coal but not through the spark plugs. just a little info on my cherokee it has 341xxx on it but it is on its second motor which has about 150xxx on it. i bought it from a original owner.so I have receipts for stuff they did to it. up until know it was running pretty sxxtty and this morning go to leave and it wont run.I checked fuel pressure I checked spark at the coil and is good spark at NO. I had done a tune up about a month ago aka cap,rotor,wires,and plugs. had to change fuel pump at the same time too. when Iwas looking at the dizzy it was checking where the rotor goes and it moves all over the place so in turn it looked like it wiped out the sensor in there so i went bored a dizzy from a friend who took it out of his running cherokee and it still doesnt run. I am stumped. please help it is my only vehicle
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

So...you DO have spark at the coil output? But nothing at the plugs?
The center shaft in the distributor was loose enough to damage the sync sensor?
How's the coil to distributor HV wire? They can and do open up.
What year was the Cherokee you borrowed the distributor from?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 AM

the jeep was an 89 also and what do you mean by coil to dizzy HV wire
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

is there spark at the plugs ?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM

I am not getting spark at the plugs.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Same problem I'm facing ...sorta @gary
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by atom89xjlmt
I am not getting spark at the plugs.
No spark? Check the camshaft sensor that is in the distributer. The crank sensor controls the injectors and the camshaft sensor controls spark.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

edit: ignore

Last edited by N20jeep; 10-03-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star

No spark? Check the camshaft sensor that is in the distributer. The crank sensor controls the injectors and the camshaft sensor controls spark.
That's what I haven't checked . How can.i tell if it.bad or good?. Corrosion any visual recognition ?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by blackhawktj

That's what I haven't checked . How can.i tell if it.bad or good?. Corrosion any visual recognition ?
Use a good Multimeter/voltmeter. Do you have a shop manual for your Jeep? If not, ill have to post the procedure for you.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star

Use a good Multimeter/voltmeter. Do you have a shop manual for your Jeep? If not, ill have to post the procedure for you.
I have the Haynes. Manual..... post it anyways o can save it on my phone
Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM

my original cam sensor was broke because the dizzy was wore out and it was all broke up. so i went and borrowed one from a friends runnig 90 renix. so i put it in and now i am not getting spark at my plugs
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6

The crank sensor sends signal to the CPU which sends spark to the coil and so on. If the crank sensor is acting up, you will have no start or spark. I would test that first. It literally takes 5 minutes, you just need somebody to crank the engine over for you. I'll post the procedure for testing the crank sensor. It's located at the back of the engine, but the connector is up top near the back of the valve cover.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6

Courtesy of Cruiser54, who also makes write-ups for other renix procedures.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole, or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
Courtesy of Cruiser54, who also makes write-ups for other renix procedures.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn't generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won't start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That's a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It's worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole, or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.
Thank you. That saved me a lot of typing. Lol

Quick Reply: 89 Renix wont start