Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'89 Keyless entry remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder
Default '89 Keyless entry remote

I have a 1989 Cherokee lerado and I am having trouble finding a place where I can get the remote for it. I even called the dealership and asked and they told me that the remotes were discontinued. Any suggestions on where I can get one and how much it would cost.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Year: 1991 Limited
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Keyless Remote

Originally Posted by ToxicFox
I have a 1989 Cherokee lerado and I am having trouble finding a place where I can get the remote for it. I even called the dealership and asked and they told me that the remotes were discontinued. Any suggestions on where I can get one and how much it would cost.
I have a 1991 limeted with keyless entry. I was lucky enough to get 1 remote with the jeep when I bought that suprisingly started working with a new battery. The locking mechanismn is a little sticky so the rarely unlucks when I hit the button so I use it mainly to just activate the alarm. I have no idea if they are programmable but if you find someone local parting one out or maybe one on craigslist for parts...the seller may still have the remote and be willing to part with it. But the question is...once you aquire one, how do they program it? I would be interested in getting a spare.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

If it's the old school small square box with 1 button in the middle, then they're not reprogramable. I used to work at a dealer and those things are a huge pain. You have to pull down the overhead console and get the 5 digit code off the receiver. Them you put that in the system when you order it. Took like 4 weeks or so to get because they were a left over Renault thing and made to order on France. Also on those, they're not called a remote, but rather "signal horn", which I'm assuming came from a bad French translation.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
If it's the old school small square box with 1 button in the middle, then they're not reprogramable. I used to work at a dealer and those things are a huge pain. You have to pull down the overhead console and get the 5 digit code off the receiver. Them you put that in the system when you order it. Took like 4 weeks or so to get because they were a left over Renault thing and made to order on France. Also on those, they're not called a remote, but rather "signal horn", which I'm assuming came from a bad French translation.
My experience also at the delaership. It was a POS system and you had to be fairly close to the Jeep and aiming the "signal horn" at the receiver above the rear view mirror.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Engine: 6 cylinder

Ok thanks for the info. Does anyone know where the system brain would be because I made a few calls and they all told me the same thing "replace the brain" if I really wanted to use the keyless entry system.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Tag for later when I get home. I have something bookmarked at home about this and replacing the keyless entry + ordering fobs, but it's in my bookmarks and I'm currently at work
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Year: 1991, 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

JeepRemotes.com
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Here's the bookmark I had about this-

http://thejeep.com/shop/HOT+SELLERS/...Models%29.html

From the site:
THIS ITEM WILL NOT WORK ON MODELS MANUFACTURED AFTER JULY 14, 1992.
Piland Electronics manufactures replacement remotes for Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee using the factory compatible Infra Red Technology used in the earlier year models. The PL-1 remote requires a 5 Digit Code that must be retrieved from a paper sticker inside your old remote or off the back side of the receiver board in the overhead console. This 5 Digit code is like a KEY , it is required to match your good operating receiver.
Your 5 digit code is burned into a chip and placed inside the PL-1 transmitter and tested at the Piland factory. When you receive the unit it will be ready to go out of the box provided you have all other systems operating. (Receiver, wiring and door lock solenoids)
And this page tells you how to get the necessary codes:
http://www.thejeep.com/pilandcode.html

Hope it helps a bit

KK
Old 01-24-2022, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by cruiser54
My experience also at the delaership. It was a POS system and you had to be fairly close to the Jeep and aiming the "signal horn" at the receiver above the rear view mirror.

does anyone know what battery those old Neman remote take? I have an 89 with keyless entry. Just did the Greg smith doorkock mod and replaced the keyless entry relays so thinking I might have a chance to get my keyless entry working again even if it is unreliable it’s kind of fun trying to get it to go.