Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Jeep Cherokee dying out while driving

Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 89 Jeep Cherokee dying out while driving

Hello,

1989 Jeep Laredo Cherokee Inline-6 4.0L engine 4WD

My Jeep Cherokee is starting up and is drive-able for about 10-20 mins till it it dies out (Engine stops and loss of Power Steering)

The Jeep will start up and then die within a few mins. If i turn the car completely off for 20-30 mins it will start up again then die after 10-20 mins of being on.

I thought that my ignition coil was damaged and was failing once it hit a critical temperature. I replaced it and the problem seemed to fixed. The car ran with no problems and drove for 1 hour continuously without dying and started up with no problems after being turned off.

The next day though, the problem returned. Thinking I had installed a faulty ignition coil I switched it out for a new one, but the issue re-arose. I then replaced the part that the Ignition coil sits on top off, but the issue persisted.

I am unsure what the problem is with my Jeep. I need to get fixed asap and if am unable to due it myself I will take in to expert mechanic, but if it is something simple I would like to save myself the expense.

Any possible solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

This is also my first post on the Forms as I'm new.

Thank you,

Dedet101

Last edited by Dedet101; 09-06-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Make sure the wires from your CPS up into the engine bay are not touching the exhaust manifold first.

Do this test:

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole, or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 07-30-2012
Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thank you for the advice! Turned out the CPS was bad. I replaced it and the car is running with no problems so far.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Dedet101
Thank you for the advice! Turned out the CPS was bad. I replaced it and the car is running with no problems so far.
Glad to hear it. I have a whole list of write-ups addressing known issues with your era of Jeep known as REnix. Easy and cheap to do. Saves headaches in the future. I'd start with this one:

Renix Ground Refreshing
The Renix era XJs and MJs were built with an under-engineered grounding system for the engine/transmission electronics. One problem in particular involves the multiple ground connection at the engine dipstick tube stud. A poor ground here can cause a multitude of driveabililty issues, wasted time, and wasted money replacing unnecessary components.
The components grounding at the dipstick tube stud are:
Distributor Sync Sensor, TCU main ground, TCU "Shift Point Logic", Ignition control Module, Injectors, ECU main ground which other engine sensors ground through, Oxygen sensor, Knock Sensor, Cruise Control, and Transmission Sync signal. All extremely important stuff.
The factory was aware of the issues with this ground point and addressed it by suggesting the following:
Remove the nut holding the wire terminals to the stud. Verify that the stud is indeed tightened securely into the block. Scrape any and all paint from the stud’s mounting surface where the wires will attach. Must be clean, shiny and free of any oil, grease, or paint.
Inspect the wire terminals. Check to see that none of the terminals are crimped over wire insulation instead of bare wire. Be sure the crimps are tight. It wouldn’t hurt to re-crimp them just as a matter of course. Sand and polish the wire terminals until clean and shiny on both sides. Reinstall all the wires to the stud and tighten the nut down securely.
While you’re in that general area, locate the battery negative cable which is fastened to the engine block just forward of the dipstick stud. Remove the bolt, scrape the block to bare metal, clean and polish the cable terminal, and reattach securely.
Another area where the grounding system on Renix era Jeeps was lacking is the engine to chassis ground. There is a braided cable from the back of the cylinder head that also attaches to the driver’s side of the firewall. This cable is undersized for it’s intended use and subject to corrosion and poor connections at each end.
First off, remove the cable end from the firewall using a 15mm wrench or socket. Scrape the paint off down to bare metal and clean the wire terminal. Reattach securely.
Remove the other end of the cable from the rear of the head using a 3’4" socket. Clean all the oil, paint and crud from the stud. Clean the wire terminal of the cable and reattach securely.
A suggestion regarding the braided cable:
I prefer to add a #4 Gauge cable from the firewall to a bolt on the rear of the intake manifold, either to a heat shield bolt or fuel rail bolt. A cable about 18" long with a 3/8" lug on each end works great and you can get one at any parts store already made up. Napa has them as part number 781116.
A further improvement to the grounding system can be made using a #4 cable, about 10" long with 3/8" terminals at each end. Attach one end of this cable to the negative battery bolt and the other end under the closest 10mm headed bolt on the radiator support just forward of the battery. Napa part number 781115.

If you want to upgrade your grounds and battery cables in general, contact Jon at
www.kelleyswip.com. He makes an incredible cable upgrade for a very reasonable price.

Revised 11-28-2011