Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89' Cherokee shooting oil from dip stick, fuel smell from valve cover vent.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 89' Cherokee shooting oil from dip stick, fuel smell from valve cover vent.

Hello I recently bought an 89 Jeep Cherokee and when I bought it I realized that it was throwing oil up and out the dip stick. Also when running it, it has a fuel smell coming out of the exhaust. Somebody put a pvc valve on the front vent and it isn't supposed to have one and when you take it off the oil quits blowing out of the dip stick but a steam comes out of the dip stick and the vent hole on he valve cover and has a gas type of smell. Could anybody tell me what is causing the fuel smell or the oil coming from the dip stick? It idles a little rough and every few seconds it tries to clear up and idle normal when you first start it until you give it a little gas, then it runs and idles fine. The motor sounds good and isn't making any type of noise.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Compression test.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Compression test is definitely a good start. I suggest you also verify the CCV system is intact. The 4.0L in 89 (assume you have the 6 cylinder?) didn't have a PCV, but it does have a CCV system in place to remove pressure from the crankcase. You should have a small vacuum line coming from the rear of the valve cover to the intake and a 1/2" (or so) rubber hose coming from the front of the valve cover to the air intake. By design the small line has an orifice in it to meter the amount of vacuum pulled on the crankcase. The 1/2" line is there to provide fresh air into the crankcase. If the small line is plugged, it will not properly vent.

As far as the fuel smell, oil will get combustion byproducts in it with age. If the smell is bad, you may have a leaking fuel injector.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Compression test is definitely a good start. I suggest you also verify the CCV system is intact. The 4.0L in 89 (assume you have the 6 cylinder?) didn't have a PCV, but it does have a CCV system in place to remove pressure from the crankcase. You should have a small vacuum line coming from the rear of the valve cover to the intake and a 1/2" (or so) rubber hose coming from the front of the valve cover to the air intake. By design the small line has an orifice in it to meter the amount of vacuum pulled on the crankcase. The 1/2" line is there to provide fresh air into the crankcase. If the small line is plugged, it will not properly vent.

As far as the fuel smell, oil will get combustion byproducts in it with age. If the smell is bad, you may have a leaking fuel injector.
Yup. Check this out.

http://cruiser54.com/?p=121