Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 cherokee radiator plug

Old 05-03-2014, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6-Cylinder
Default 89 cherokee radiator plug

so when i was changing the water pump and thermostat/flushing the system a few weeks ago i ended up over loosening the petcock and took it completely out when draining the fluid when from what im told a 1/4 inch turn would have been sufficient (but im impatient and didnt have alll day to wait for it to drain). after putting it back in it now leaks slowly but consistently causing me to add fluid every week or so

anywho....anyone know if this
Amazon.com: Dorman Help! 61105 Brass Drain ****: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman Help! 61105 Brass Drain ****: Automotive
will be a direct fit?

says it fits but looks nothing like the one currently in the jeep

this one
Amazon.com: Dorman 61126 HELP! Radiator Drain ****: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 61126 HELP! Radiator Drain ****: Automotive

looks exactly like whats in my jeep but says it isnt compatible with my radiator.

the one thats in there now is a crap design and i wish i could just plug it up permanently with a bolt or something but if anyone has replaced these your advice (or parts numbers) would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

You could use a NPT plug from the piping section of Home Depot. Or bring the thing to a parts place to compare.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Well if it's a 1/8" I don't know if Home Depot carries a plug that small.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok, the outlet is 1/8". Doesn't even specify the male end. That's why amazon sucks.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Rock auto has then for $2.47. 1/8" Male NPT. I'm sure you could get a plumbing part to work but there's probably a parts store that has something like that.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Any hydraulic shop should be able to provide what you may need to fix your problem right handy. But the correct part will do better.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

That's why it's recommended to drain it by pulling the lower hose. (after the air cleaner) Your drain likely has krud in it. If A plug will work, I'm sure Ace has it. IIRC mine is not easy to reach, but I'm wondering if you first drain it if you could then blast it with a garden hose and dislodge the krud. Maybe even poke something in there, like trimmer line or something.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
That's why it's recommended to drain it by pulling the lower hose. (after the air cleaner) Your drain likely has krud in it. If A plug will work, I'm sure Ace has it. IIRC mine is not easy to reach, but I'm wondering if you first drain it if you could then blast it with a garden hose and dislodge the krud. Maybe even poke something in there, like trimmer line or something.
yeah i shoulda done the lower hose drain but i did it with the haynes manual instead of looking for easier ways first. couldnt find the drain plug on the engine block after searching for over and hour and scraping away 25 years of oil and buildup so idk if im just blind or what but i did flush the system and got alot of crud out while i had the pump & thermo off.

after driving it for a few days it seems its only really bad after im driving it for a while (30 mins or more in the city), especially past couple of days because ive been driving it hard to get the most out of my engine/oil cleaner. already feel such a noticeable difference so if i can fix the leak ill have a completely leak free 89. which is exciting to both me and my landlord

ill take a trip back to ace and see what i can whip up, already used some galvanized steel and brass tubing/fittings to replace the pipe that comes off the water pipe. plumbing fabs just work so damn well!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BoogeymanXJ
the pipe that comes off the water pipe.
Heater hose? or what?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 PM

Heater hose? or what?
Don't remember exactly what its called all I know is that parts stores dont carry them for my year water pump because its a threaded pipe and all the ones that parts stores carry are pressure fit pipes with orings. It the 6-8 inch pipe that comes off the upper left hand side of the water pump (if you're facing the engine)
Old 05-06-2014, 01:34 AM
Seasoned Member

It's not a good idea to mix brass fittings and galvanized pipe. Over time Electrolysis will corrode the crap out of it clogging the pipe and seizing them. They make dielectric fittings to combat this but it's better to stick with brass on brass.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 AM
CF Veteran

OK, Gotccya'. Whatever works. Here's what I think. Yes, it is actually called a nipple. You don't want to clamp on the threads. Two options. Clamp your nipple in a vise, and cut it off where the threads end, giving a smooth clamping surface.

Or, boil a pot of water and pour it, slowly, over the hose to make it soft enough to slide up past the threads, so your clamp is on solid metal.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-06-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim
It's not a good idea to mix brass fittings and galvanized pipe. Over time Electrolysis will corrode the crap out of it clogging the pipe and seizing them. They make dielectric fittings to combat this but it's better to stick with brass on brass.
Crawdad is correct. I have a Galvanized pipe to the brass valve that feeds the hot water in to the tub I've been using about three times a week since 96. I can clearly see that the metal is letting a tad of water through.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 AM
Seasoned Member

OK, Gotccya'. Whatever works. Here's what I think. Yes, it is actually called a nipple. You don't want to clamp on the threads. Two options. Clamp your nipple in a vise, and cut it off where the threads end, giving a smooth clamping surface.

Or, boil a pot of water and pour it, slowly, over the hose to make it soft enough to slide up past the threads, so your clamp is on solid metal.
Wtf? You use a hose barb.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

I have no idea what this thread is about. Does it leak at the drain fitting or is it leaking in other places. This is an easy fix unless I'm reading it wrong-get a 1/8" male NPT plug and put it in with some Teflon tape on the threads and screw it on. That's a pressurized system you have so you don't want to use clamps on pipes-you need a valve or plug to seal the outlet properly. Maybe I'm not getting what the problem is-the male plugs are in the plumbing section of any hardware store. Brass is fine-IIRC the rads have copper and aluminum cores. Brass is high in copper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 cherokee radiator plug