Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 cherokee idles rough???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default 89 cherokee idles rough???

idk what is going on this is my first jeep ever owned only has 80 thou miles on the thing and it seems to idle kinda rough like ill go to start it and and it takes a couple seconds to kick over not right away like the dodge van i had was varoom soon as u hit the key not this jeep. after i start it i let it run alil and the idol will be at one line below the 1 then all the sudden drop down to 2 lines below the 1 then come back here or there also when i go to give it alil gas just alil it boggs right out and just about stalls unless i increase petal pressure with my foot im stumped the jeep had been sittin for three years in my yard i checked some vaccum lines heres a pic
if anyone can see anything its a webcam pic there was tape on some of the vaccum lines and cracked plastic where some of the hoses joined i found a shiney looking vaccum housing in a bag the looked almost like the one that was in there alil different almost makes me wonder if the one that was in here was the wrong one because i have also another vaccum housing that looked pretty old and that one matched up to the shiney new looking one i found so neways i replaced the vaccum housing and some hoses and it seems to not wanna bog out as much on idle but it still sounds like it wants to dye when i lighty press the gas and once and awhile stall out only thing i notice sense the vaccums replaced is the thing dont seem to wanna die out as much it will stay running and only wanna die once in 15 mins of running instead of only 4 mins and stalling then another 4 and stallin. when i moved it from sitting it had a qaurter of a tank which was prolly old gas i added 5 gallons of premuim and some stable to the tank and replaced the plugs and changed the air filter which i noticed was covered in oil. also gave it an oil change idk what to try next maybe a fuel filter as the one on here looks pretty rusty idk my freind had an old fuel filter on for awhile and he seemed to think he was getting better mileage of course when we noticed something leaking after a fill up it was that part. but anyways whats wierd is i was told when a certain vaccum line is pulled halfway out this thing seems to wanna run better its the line that goes into the top of the motor to a nipple the end with the rubber elbow which connects to the nipple is the part where i was told to leave it halfway off hope that info helps plz help
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Seasoned Member

well i figured since i replaced the vaccum lines and it still bogs out when giving alil gas and at times idles down so low it will die. i figured id check for fuel issues. i turned on my key till the pump kicked in and out which took almost 6 seconds i then waited 15 mins and turned the key again to on and took almost the same way over a minute which i asume aint good so im thinking maybe pour some injector cleaner in tank with some new gas??? or maybe just swap out my old fuel filter first as it looks rusty
Old 08-15-2009, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

do you have the equipment to check your gas pressure at the rail?it should be between 30-35lbs.
You said it has been setting for 3 years,was the tank empty?i would check your entire fuel system including the pump,it is easy to remove,there is a small fuel line in there that can crack and leak,change filter (inline)check entire system,you have check vacuum lines.I would check all of them even the ones going to the vacuum bottle in the bumper on the right side. There is a alot that can go wrong with these lines in 3 years.

Last edited by Abovetimberline; 08-15-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

i have a rusty fuel venting line which does not leak and ive replaced the fuel filter nothing seems to be leaking i had over a qaurter of a tank of gas in it during the sitting time and i added 5 gallons of high test along with some stabl which gave me almost a half of tank some of the old gas coiuld be burning up still i dident add any dry gas maybe i should have