Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Cherokee blower

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 89 Cherokee blower

So I've had issues with my blower not working and I finally had a little time to inspect it. When tearing down the dash and getting to the heater control I noticed that my harness to the switch is melted.
Good ol me went to pick n pull and tried to procure an unmelted one. Going through 3 Cherokees I noticed all 3 harnesses were melted.
Now I'm no rocket surgeon but it seems like this may be a common issue.
I'm curious to see what are some good steps on this repair. Should I get a new harness/pigtail connector w switch(I'm curious if it's still available through jeep). Have any of you hard wired with a switch and bypassed the blower switch? Any ideas/help would be rad.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

It was probably the same condition on all those Jeeps-blower motor failure or blower wheel obstruction. They just don't melt-there's an increase in current because of something happening at the other end. When I picked up my '87, it had the "only works on high" issue. So, changed blower motor resister (which was blown) and it worked for a few days and then the resistor was burned out again. When I took out the blower, the shaft was very rusty and the wheel did not turn smoothly. New blower motor and no problem since (all speeds working).
Old 11-07-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 67 GMC
It was probably the same condition on all those Jeeps-blower motor failure or blower wheel obstruction. They just don't melt-there's an increase in current because of something happening at the other end. When I picked up my '87, it had the "only works on high" issue. So, changed blower motor resister (which was blown) and it worked for a few days and then the resistor was burned out again. When I took out the blower, the shaft was very rusty and the wheel did not turn smoothly. New blower motor and no problem since (all speeds working).
Well the higher current explain the fuse popping instantly after changing it. I'll dig into the motor and inspect.
Have you heard of cutting the harness and directly plugging the wires into the switch? Or if the harness plug is still available?
Oh and thanks for the reply!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Had the same issue. You can go ahead and crimp female terminals to the wires and plug them directly to the switch.

But yeah, check out what's going on at the motor. It's getting hot for a reason.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:23 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Also, when you get a chance, refresh the ground on the driver's side inner fender.

A ton of stuff grounds there, including your blower motor.
I stumbled on to something last week. If you take the ground wire on the harness side of the blower MOTOR plug, cut it and put both cut ends into a ring terminal and fasten it on the passenger's side inner fender the blower motor efficency increases.

Of my Tips in the link below, how many have you completed?
Attached Thumbnails 89 Cherokee blower-blower-motor-ground.jpg  
Old 11-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
Had the same issue. You can go ahead and crimp female terminals to the wires and plug them directly to the switch.

But yeah, check out what's going on at the motor. It's getting hot for a reason.
Thanks! I appreciate the response. I'll wire it up this week.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Also, when you get a chance, refresh the ground on the driver's side inner fender.

A ton of stuff grounds there, including your blower motor.
I stumbled on to something last week. If you take the ground wire on the harness side of the blower MOTOR plug, cut it and put both cut ends into a ring terminal and fasten it on the passenger's side inner fender the blower motor efficency increases.

Of my Tips in the link below, how many have you completed?
I haven't done any of the tips. Yesterday was my first day to dink around with the truck. But after reading your link and other postings I'll go through the grounds on this beast. Thanks for the reply!