Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

88 Jeep Cherokee -Grinding Noise from rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 88 Jeep Cherokee -Grinding Noise from rear wheel

I recently purchased this vehicle. I was told it needed new brake shoes on the passenger rear tire.
I removed the wheel to discover half of the brake set up was there. Basically the entire right half of the brakes were gone. So I rebuilt, bled the brakes etc. The brakes work great, now the issue at hand is...The same rear passenger wheel started making a very loud distinct metal grinding noise before I fixed the brakes, and continued after fixing them. The noise seems to start after 5 mins of driving, or when the wheels are warm. It makes no difference on speed, braking or not, turns etc. It seems to happen without any cause. Also the drum was VERY hot after driving for a short time. I'd like a few opinions before I take it to a mechanic. Possibly fix it myself if it's not too difficult. Your help is much appreciated!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question

Another unloved jeep. You might want to take off the other rear brake and compare where everything is supposed to be at. Make sure they is where its supposed to be. If you have the new brake pads with fresh drag marks, they are out too far. Check your pistons and see if your wheel bearings are dry.

Something is making those drums hot.