Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

88 comanche, won't shut off, other questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 88 comanche, won't shut off, other questions

Hey all, newbie here. Just bought this 88 comanche, 4.0, fuel injected, manual 5 speed, working out some bugs.

I went to shut it off, and it continues to run with key off and out, I had to stall it to shut it down.
I checked a few other posts on this, but nobody bothered to state their results with replacing an ignition switch, or any steps involved in replacing the part.

so, first choice in repair? do I have to pull the ignition tumbler or is it accessed differently?

and there are some relays on the passenger fender under the hood, does anybody have a good writeup (hopefully with pictures) on what is what over there? the previous owner has a jumper wire ran to power I think the fuel pump due to this relay being 'intermittenly defective', its plugged in while running and disconnected to keep the battery up, while off.

anyway, I promise if I fix my problem, I'll report the results for the next poor shmuck,
thanks
Nick
Old 11-29-2009, 07:23 PM

the ignition switch is on top of the column. you don't need to pull the lock cylinder. i have heard of guys pulling the instraments cluster out to get to it or you could drop the column.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

The ignition switch isn't inside the column.. it is bolted to the top of it. There will be a rod that runs from inside to column down to it. If you stick you head under the dash and look on top of the column you should be able to see the switch and its plugs.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

If you have a jumper wire on the fuel pump relay, and you have to unplug it to keep it from killing battery, I would start there to start fixing the problem. if it is still getting fuel, it can continue to run.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

The previous owner probably has jumpered the B+ latch relay that is besides the fuel pump relay.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by fantic238
The previous owner probably has jumpered the B+ latch relay that is besides the fuel pump relay.
I have the chiltons for the truck, and I'm trying to figure out what is what.
Is this the renix fuel injection system?
I noticed the 'latch relay' in the manual, is this relay pertinent to fuel delivery and/or spark? etc. It is a galvanized looking relay. If I'm looking for the replacement part, will it be called the 'latch relay'?

btw, I disconnected the wire, and the truck still ran, not dieseling, but running fine, I'm going to try to get the ignition switch checked out/replaced asap, and I'll report results. thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

The chiltons is the best.
Your Comanche is Renix.
The latch relay delivers power to every other electric device when you turn the key to on, such as fuel pump relay, ECU, ignition coil, etc.
The big galvanized metal relay is the starter relay. The latch relay is black/plastic, just like the FP relay. The other two relay that are under that cover are oxygen sensor heater relay and AC clutch relay.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 AM

well, it was dark when I got it into the garage, and I just felt under the dash, and there was a dangling wire hanging out, so I pulled it, I assumed it was this 'jumper wire', well, it was something else, that I've yet to chase.

anyway, it was the jumper wire still active.

So, if somebody could help me here, I'm having a hard time with the wiring diagram and making sense of this 'joe modify' repair. The guy actually cut the leads off of the mounting terminals for the b+ latch relay, and wired in a new one that is zip tied else where. The jumper wire in question is actually wired from the ign terminal in the fuse panel, to the orange black wire at the starter relay. I see the wiring from the ignition to the starter (green, and green), but I can't find this orange/black wire on the wiring diagram.

So, I'm wonder: if the truck won't shut off with this connected: is this orange/black wire powering the ecm as well as the fuel pump? I'm not that bad with wiring diagrams, but the chiltons I have doesn't seem to show this.
thanks guys.