Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'88 Cherokee NP242!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question '88 Cherokee NP242!

Last year I changed all fluids in the entire vehicle and took the vehicle on an off road camping trip through the California desert. I was in and out of 4WD through the entire trip which lasted 4 days. I had no problems what so ever. When I came home I changed the transfer case fluid and both axles were serviced, as this is a vehicle that is mostly used off road and only driven at home to stretch its legs once in a while, it is not driven very much. So here's my problem, when I took it on some sand recently I found that the selector will not move to any position and stays in 2WD. I didn't try to slam it out of 2WD into any other position for fear of causing any damage. Anyone have any ideas? Am I not doing something right? By the way it has an auto trans and when trying to move the selector I am stopped with the trans in neutral!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6 high output

can u shift it on the fly? or is that just on the newer models? my mothers 97 wrangler doesnt like to go back into 2hi from 4hi if you just sit in nuetral and do it. works better when moving around 5mph
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by sparknutz07
can u shift it on the fly? or is that just on the newer models? my mothers 97 wrangler doesnt like to go back into 2hi from 4hi if you just sit in nuetral and do it. works better when moving around 5mph
Mine too. Right now I blame my bad motor mount
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1986 Comanche
Engine: Chevy 350

Technically, you can ship any 231 and 242 on the fly, but that never seemed like a good idea to me so I've never done it.

Try putting the Jeep in N and having it roll or put it in D and slightly move to align the innards so that it will pop in gear.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Year: 1998

Might make sure you haven't caught anything up under you that could block it, at least your not trying to slam it out of 2hi
Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by sparknutz07
Interesting question that I've also wondered about. I've had several vehicles, including my current 97 Cherokee, that were supposedly shift on the fly. Never once have I done so because it makes me nervous.

Do you guys actually shift into 4WD while moving forward? At what speed? Do you put it in neutral to do so?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

I shift 2wd hi to 4wd hi and back on the fly, any speed, from dead slow to 60 mph.
No issues. I have NP231 trans case and disco front D30 axle with posilock cable disco actuator. No problems shifting back and forth while moving. When going to 4 Lo, stop, tranmission in neutral, shift transfer case to 4 Lo, shift transmission back to Dive or lower. Don't do 4 Lo transfer case shift while moving. With the posilock cable actuator on the front axle I can disengage to ease tight turning and reengage again for the full traction while transfer case stays in selected position.
You may have a linkage jamming problem if you can't do the Hi range transfer case shift, look underneath and don't be afraid to add lube to the mechanical linkage.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by peep
I shift 2wd hi to 4wd hi and back on the fly, any speed, from dead slow to 60 mph.
No issues. I have NP231 trans case and disco front D30 axle with posilock cable disco actuator. No problems shifting back and forth while moving. When going to 4 Lo, stop, tranmission in neutral, shift transfer case to 4 Lo, shift transmission back to Dive or lower. Don't do 4 Lo transfer case shift while moving. With the posilock cable actuator on the front axle I can disengage to ease tight turning and reengage again for the full traction while transfer case stays in selected position.
You may have a linkage jamming problem if you can't do the Hi range transfer case shift, look underneath and don't be afraid to add lube to the mechanical linkage.
Well, I guess I'm going to have to try this tomorrow.

I've always stopped and put it in neutral. Coming out of 4wd I always stop, neutral, then back it up about ten feet to unlock the transfer case.

I baby my Jeep.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

You can try to shift while moving. Your Cherokee can be shifted on the fly. Start off by moving slow, say 5mph, then do the 2wdHi to 4wdHi shift. If it is stuck there is probably a linkage binding issue underneath. Try some lube. There is nothing wrong with what you have been doing and taking best care of your XJ. You don't have to shift at 60mph. My Peep has seen its share of abuse over the years (2 years hard labour in stone quarry before I resuced her). Do stop and go to neutral prior to the 4Low selection.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default shifting on the fly

I've always shifted into 4hi while rolling forward in drive. (96 xj auto 231) I try to do it without turning the wheels to be easy on the gears. I do it regularly from 5mph to 50mph. If I remember correctly, the Owners Manual says that it is necessary to have the vehicle in motion for it to properly engage/disengage 4wd. 4Lo on the other hand, i will stop the vehicle, put the transmission in N and then shift the Tcase to 4Lo. This seems to work best. Mine has 190K, fluids changed regularly and no rebuild, seems to work fine - never sticks!

also when I shift from 4hi to 2hi, i do it with my foot on the gas, then after putting it in 2hi I let off the gas and can hear the Tcase disengage. It will disengage on it's own after a bit if I don't let off the gas but it seems to like when I give it some help "letting go".

Last edited by Potatowalker; 03-26-2011 at 08:59 PM.