Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

88 cherokee 4.0l oil in air box

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 88 cherokee 4.0l oil in air box

not sure what to do next. renewed all ccv lines, orifice, tubes and junctions. Still getting oil in airbox and air filter clogged with oil. any suggestions?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

this could be caused by exssive blow by very common on very high mileage engines

Last edited by freegdr; 11-26-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 AM

it's got 225k miles on it. before I change engines just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.
Does anyone have any preferred reman engine sites?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

It could be true blowby. There is some testing you can do to see if that is
the root cause.

When you freshened the CCV system, did you remove the valve cover and
completely clean it out?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:34 AM

Year: 1992

Excessive blow by. Check your compression. If it's low pour some oil down cylinder and check it again. If it comes back your rings are bad, if i doesn't, it's valves. I would say live with it in either case but put a collecting bottle in the vent hose to keep the oil out of the air filter.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

Pull your filler cap.
How much smoke/air is coming out?
If its blowby will plow out like a smoke stack.

I just did the valve cover gasket on my 87 XJ, I installed an engine with 124k miles and I was surprised at the gunk buildup on the inside the valve cover.

I cleaned it all and up and used a 1/4" socket and removed the internal baffle below the vacuum port. There is also a reed valve below the vacuum port, the hole was open but the reed was crudded shut so it couldn't pull a vacuum.

Its not had to remove the valve cover, it takes longer to clean it up than anything.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
It could be true blowby. There is some testing you can do to see if that is
the root cause.

When you freshened the CCV system, did you remove the valve cover and
completely clean it out?
I did remove, clean and put a new gasket on the valve cover.

Went to auto parts store today, found a breathable cap with baffle and inserted it on the cover btw the front ccv tube and air box. I believe it's gonna keep it out the airbox!

Thanks!!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ncfoothills
I did remove, clean and put a new gasket on the valve cover.

Went to auto parts store today, found a breathable cap with baffle and inserted it on the cover btw the front ccv tube and air box. I believe it's gonna keep it out the airbox!

Thanks!!
Did you remove the baffle/reed assembly and clean it out too?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Caish
Pull your filler cap.
How much smoke/air is coming out?
If its blowby will plow out like a smoke stack.

I just did the valve cover gasket on my 87 XJ, I installed an engine with 124k miles and I was surprised at the gunk buildup on the inside the valve cover.

I cleaned it all and up and used a 1/4" socket and removed the internal baffle below the vacuum port. There is also a reed valve below the vacuum port, the hole was open but the reed was crudded shut so it couldn't pull a vacuum.

Its not had to remove the valve cover, it takes longer to clean it up than anything.
very little smoke coming out. I'm gonna live with it for now. I think the breathable cap with the ccv hose attached is gonna work. The engine is still very strong and runs great!!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

very little smoke coming out. I'm gonna live with it for now. I think the breathable cap with the ccv hose attached is gonna work. The engine is still very strong and runs great!!

Thats great news. So its not blowy related.
Check your vacuum fitting on the manifold and the vacuum line to make sure its not plugged up.
I was surprised how much carbon buildup there was in the intake manifold when I was working on mine and pulled the injectors on the 120k engine. The injector port on the number 5 cylinder are nearly plugged with carbon buildup.
Its possible your vacuum port is plugged the same way.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Caish
Thats great news. So its not blowy related.
Check your vacuum fitting on the manifold and the vacuum line to make sure its not plugged up.
I was surprised how much carbon buildup there was in the intake manifold when I was working on mine and pulled the injectors on the 120k engine. The injector port on the number 5 cylinder are nearly plugged with carbon buildup.
Its possible your vacuum port is plugged the same way.
the rear port going to the intake has good suction.

run seafoam thru it when I first got it, really pissed the nieghbors off!! That stuff is way cool. made a big diff.

you think the intake mani should be cleaned after that still?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

the rear port going to the intake has good suction.

run seafoam thru it when I first got it, really pissed the nieghbors off!! That stuff is way cool. made a big diff.

you think the intake mani should be cleaned after that still?
If you got vacuum at the end of the line I wouldn't worry with the manifold.
It does have my curiosity up though, why are you getting oil blowing back through the vent hose if you have vacuum there.
Maybe there is a little to much blowby for that 7/64" hole.

If it was mine I would consider opening the size of the orifice on the valve cover. Or else add a catch can to the line to airbox.
Second thought would be that if you removed the 'baffle/reed' from the front hole that leads to the airbox. That way oil that does find its way there could just drain back down.
Something is queer there. I'll ponder it a bit and get back to ya.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

1) Make sure the lines are clear - as well as that little orifice grommet in the back of the valve cover. I know you said you'd just "renewed the lines" - but it can't hurt to make sure they're clean.

2) If that doesn't do it, make yerself a "catch can" and plumb it inline between the CCV outflow and the air cleaner. Make sure to point both lines going into the thing downwards, and it will work better if the line from the valve cover goes closer to the bottom than the line to the air cleaner (helps to deposit the oil in the can.) Make sure you can remove and open the can so it can be emptied. It's basically like a "water trap" found in some air lines - serves the same function, and construction would be similar. There's no set way to do it, so exercise your creativity in making the thing work. The only real "hard and fast" rule is that the two lines in the can should not point at each other!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 5-90
1) Make sure the lines are clear - as well as that little orifice grommet in the back of the valve cover. I know you said you'd just "renewed the lines" - but it can't hurt to make sure they're clean.

2) If that doesn't do it, make yerself a "catch can" and plumb it inline between the CCV outflow and the air cleaner. Make sure to point both lines going into the thing downwards, and it will work better if the line from the valve cover goes closer to the bottom than the line to the air cleaner (helps to deposit the oil in the can.) Make sure you can remove and open the can so it can be emptied. It's basically like a "water trap" found in some air lines - serves the same function, and construction would be similar. There's no set way to do it, so exercise your creativity in making the thing work. The only real "hard and fast" rule is that the two lines in the can should not point at each other!
I appreciate all this expert advise!!

The breathable cap seems to be doing the trick although I haven't bought a new air filter (just a couple of drips on it) from residue in lines. I'm gonna run it a week or so, put another one in. I've bought 10 this year?

I guess the catch can your speaking of would have to be vented some?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

I put in a new grommet and elbow bend at the front valve cover breather spot and vented it down to the bottom of the engine with a hose and a little air filter on the end.

Its a pretty common thing to do on tuners too. I dont have to deal with emissions though.

That took care of almost all oil I had on my filter, which wasnt too bad at first. Now I have a full custom intake and got rid of some of the other emission stuff, made it run better.

But yea a catch can would work good too, another pretty common racing type thing.
Its not vented, it just goes inline the valve breather line and "catches" the oil, every once in awhile youll have to empty it.

Search ebay for "oil catch can" and take your pick, around $20