Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'87 XJ Steering column

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '87 XJ Steering column

The inner bits of the signaling switch and whatnot, being nonfunctional, I decided to replace the whole column, with another from the junkyard. I've removed the electrical connections, released the two nuts holding the column to the bottom of dash, the two bolts bolted to the floor, and removed the bolt tightening the lower u-joint to the steering gear box, and still it won't come out. Of course, the useless Chilton manual doesn't cover changing out the steering column, and I'm wondering what I've missed...

And while I'm here, the 4 liter starts and runs pretty well, but for a high idle and hissing noise. If I stand on the brake, the hissing goes away and the idle drops to around 1k. Seems to be a vacuum leak related to the brake booster, but I haven't a specific clue. Any ideas?

TIA

Last edited by briankk; 01-05-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

WHOA THERE DRAGON....
Those bits in the column are quite replaceable, what exactly are the column problems and is it tilt also. Steering column repair is pretty straight forward until you "HAVE to remove the second collar assembly(on tilt columns).
Your brake problem may be the booster going out, but you need to check for vac leaks first.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by highmileage
WHOA THERE DRAGON....
Those bits in the column are quite replaceable, what exactly are the column problems and is it tilt also. Steering column repair is pretty straight forward until you "HAVE to remove the second collar assembly(on tilt columns).
Your brake problem may be the booster going out, but you need to check for vac leaks first.
'K.. the column problem was that my flashlight was too dim to see that there was a support for the column from the left side of the cockpit. Loosened it, out it all came First obvious problem a big electrical connector top of the column that I could not see until the column dropped. Abt 10 ga wires into a black and blue connector, the blue one was pretty melted/screwed up, all stop 'till I get that replaced...

I don't actually have a brake problem per se, I seem to have a vacuum leak somewhere about the booster, but the brakes work fine, the only time I have the hissing noise is when I'm NOT on the brakes. Just wondered it this struck a note with anybody, before I go fishing around looking for it..
Old 01-05-2014, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The big connector on top of the column is actually the ignition switch. What you see with the burnt connector is a common problem with our RENIX model JEEPS, rebuild the connector when replacing switch.
ALso you need to go to Cruisers mostly renix tips at the top of the page.