Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 XJ Headlights issue solved - only hibeam worked

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Talking 87 XJ Headlights issue solved - only hibeam worked

Thought I would make this thread to help out anyone else who runs into this issue.

long story short when i got my XJ only the hibeams worked. Eventually both hi and lo beam stopped all together.

I checked all my grounds and even grind out new contacts for them. Replaced the headlights completely and installed the putco harness. Replaced the headlight switch. Checked socket voltage. Still no luck.

Finally I checked the dimmerswitch under the steering column. Turns out the rod that actuates the switch had slipped out of the cup that holds it in place.

Heres a quick drawing I did since I didn't take pics. The red line is the rod and where its placed.

Not sure how the rod actually managed to come out since it's pretty out of the way.

Ended up replacing the dimmerswitch anyways since I ordered the part before even looking at it. Needless to say with new headlight switch,dimmerswitch, putco harness and headlights I can see way better than I did before at night.

Hope this helps anyone who is banging their head against the wall.

Also if you replace the dimmerswitch be sure to pull that metal bracket out after the rod is in place otherwise it won't work!