Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 Renix SOOO SLOOOOWWW (psst, Cruiser54!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L
Default 87 Renix SOOO SLOOOOWWW (psst, Cruiser54!)

Hey folks,

I was hoping you all could help me understand if I'm actually experiencing trouble with my '87 Wagoneer or if it's just a normal thing that I'm not used to. This is my third Jeep Cherokee, but first four door, first Renix, and first automatic. Previously I had a 2000, 2 door, 4 cylinder, 5-speed, 4x4 and a 1997, 2-door, 6 cylinder, 5-speed, 4x4.

As I'm sure you're all aware, the 2.5 is a slow little beast so the 1997 4.0 felt like a rocket compared to it. I still have the '97 in the family and just recently drove it again (before I bought my Wagoneer) so I can easily recall the power that one had. The Wagoneer only has 146,000 miles on it as well.

When I first got my Waggie I thought something was very off; I realized the tires were quite low so filling them helped, then I realized there was a switch for the transmission that was in "comfort" and flipping it to "power" helped a lot was well. I've also changed the spark plugs out and gapped the new ones properly (.035) and made certain the the spark plug boots were firmly seated (this made the biggest difference so far as I think it *may* have been running on 5-cylinders, at least part of the time). I've also changed the fuel filter out, have run a tank of Shell with a can of seafoam and a tank of Chevron with an additional bottle of Techron through it and have seen some marginal (re: placebo) effect from it. (I'm in the O&G industry - Shell/Chevron have the best additive packages with Chevron winning out because they put the same amount in all grades, Shell ups it for higher grades). Lastly, I changed out completely the front brakes, calipers and all because the front passenger side was frozen and I think it was adding some pressure to the rotor all the time - this also made a difference and helped with the pulling to the right.

Anyway, after all that jabbering I was hoping you all could tell me if what I'm experiencing is just a result of a non-HO engine, automatic, and perhaps a heavier 4-door chassis or if there could be another issue. Right now I would say it is no faster nor slower than my 2000 2.5L...but I got rid of that one for a reason, we drive fast in Texas. I don't expect my Jeep to be a rocket ship, but it certainly would be nice to be able to get up to 65mph or so on the freeway without being the little choo choo that could...

So far on the list of things to do is:
  1. Cruiser54's list...
  2. I have a compression test kit (had to rent one with a longer plug threads as mine is too short)
  3. Electric fan conversion
  4. ATF transmission drain/re-fill, 3x, spaced between oil changes
  5. Changing over to Shell Rotella 10W-30 w/WIX filter this weekend (I know this is not a performance change, just listing for the fun of it now )
  6. Just added a WIX air filter this morning (old one had oil all over it at the firewall end...wtf? More forum searching...

Thanks for all your help fellas!

-Matt
Old 01-06-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L w/Renix

Just to be clear, does your truck have a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder engine?
I must have missed that part.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Rising Fawn
Just to be clear, does your truck have a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder engine?
I must have missed that part.
Sorry, this truck has the 4.0L six!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

if you have a lot of oil on the filter, your crank case vents to that place, I would check compression first. you may have have worn piston rings. I know I did, and my filters were ruined after not many miles. ended up replacing the engine.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
if you have a lot of oil on the filter, your crank case vents to that place, I would check compression first. you may have have worn piston rings. I know I did, and my filters were ruined after not many miles. ended up replacing the engine.
Well it wasn't a lot of oil, just looked as though about an inch or so of the end where the tube meets the box had some oil exposure. Is that a common occurrence? Why would it vent into the airbox and not just the atmosphere?

I'm going to check the compression; I'm hoping it's ok though. Assuming it's low in one/more cylinders I suppose I'll have to do a leakdown test, etc. to see if it's the rings or valves
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Bump!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"87 Renix SOOO SLOOOOWWW"
No matter what at the end of the day it's a 29 year old budget 4wd vehicle.

"we drive fast in Texas."
Maybe you could cut a deal on a 2015 ZO6?
Old 01-07-2016, 02:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

A wagoneer is probably the heaviest xj of its time with all its options,That and the xj isn't known for being fast either.Besides doing a full tune up theres not much you can really do to it.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by MayerMR
Well it wasn't a lot of oil, just looked as though about an inch or so of the end where the tube meets the box had some oil exposure. Is that a common occurrence? Why would it vent into the airbox and not just the atmosphere?

I'm going to check the compression; I'm hoping it's ok though. Assuming it's low in one/more cylinders I suppose I'll have to do a leakdown test, etc. to see if it's the rings or valves
its all about emissions and the environment. Those are very toxic gases, so they get re burned back in the combustion chamber. most modern cars have a more elegant solution, but the renix is effective.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Nope. Do Tip 25 for that.

Make sure intake manifold bolts are snug.

Replace cap, rotor and wires.

Do my Tips 1 through 5 thoroughly. Consider #27.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Nope. Do Tip 25 for that.

Make sure intake manifold bolts are snug.

Replace cap, rotor and wires.

Do my Tips 1 through 5 thoroughly. Consider #27.
Cruiser,

Thanks for the tips! My plan is to start working through those as I am able. My cap and wires look very new...is there a continuity test or anything that can be done to test if they are still good or are they just something that's cheap enough to replace as a matter of course? The only reason I'm hesitant to tackle #27 is my less-than-stellar electrical prowess...and everything is working right now...well, working, not necessarily optimal as my post suggests.

All that said, I'm not expecting this Waggie to be a speed demon as I've mentioned before, but I am working toward restomoding it and I always want to make my vehicles as "healthy" as they can be. Could be normal for this guy, but something just feels *off*.

I'll continue to make tweaks and report back!

S/F,

-Matt
Old 01-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

its all about emissions and the environment. Those are very toxic gases, so they get re burned back in the combustion chamber. most modern cars have a more elegant solution, but the renix is effective.
I gotcha, and I understand the reasoning behind it, I guess I'm just a bit confused why they'd feel that introducing them into the airfilter box is a better idea than into the intake manifold or somewhere else where a paper element won't get ruined...odd decisions...silly engineers!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
"87 Renix SOOO SLOOOOWWW"
No matter what at the end of the day it's a 29 year old budget 4wd vehicle.

"we drive fast in Texas."
Maybe you could cut a deal on a 2015 ZO6?
Yes I get it, I'm not trying to make it a sports car. I thought I made it clear but I feel like there may be something wrong that is hindering performance that would a healthy/otherwise stock vehicle wouldn't experience.

We, the collective we, do drive fast in Texas. Some speed limits are 85 mph in this state. A vehicle that struggles to make it to 65 mph in a reasonable time isn't a matter of comfort but more of safety for both me and other drivers. When I see other older Cherokees on the freeway and keeping up without problem I tend to think that I may have a problem.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

It goes through the filter to be sure no chunks of gunk go down it's gullet. (me thinks)..

It's free to borrow a fuel pressure tester. Unlikely your issue but something to rule out. 39# with the vacuum line off the regulator, about 10# less with it on, IIRC.

The stock injectors are real crap that can leak. (two piece with metal, and a fire hazard). If someone changed them, I hope they went with something that leaves you with full power.....
Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by MayerMR
When I see other older Cherokees on the freeway and keeping up without problem I tend to think that I may have a problem.
So with your foot flat to the floorboard your Jeep won't go 70, 75 or 80?
(2015 ZO6 0-60 3.1 sec & 10.95 1/4 mile btw...top speed will constipate you for a week, lol)

Quick Reply: 87 Renix SOOO SLOOOOWWW (psst, Cruiser54!)