Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

86 cherokee no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 86 cherokee no start

This is for my buddy's Cherokee. The truck started for the last couple of months with no problems. The last week or so he has had to use a screwdriver to to jump the solonoid on the starter. I searched the forums and decided to replace the ignition switch at the bottom of the column. When I went to start the truck, I relaized he only had 2 positions on the key cylinder. When I asked him about that, he told me it was like that since he bought the truck in September. I then replaced the starter relay and the truck fired up the last 2 days with no problems. This morning, it wouldn't so he jumped the solonoid. We want to replace the starter this weekend but does anyone know how hard it is to do in a 86 cherokee with a 2.8 motor and automatic? I would think it should be pretty straight forword but because I don't have the truck in front of me and he is mechanically challanged, I would like to know what I am getting into... Thanks in advance.

Rob