Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

784 fuel injector swap 2001 xj sport 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 784 fuel injector swap 2001 xj sport 4.0

Today I scoured two of our local pic and pull a part junk yards and finally after visiting both places, I was able to put together a complete set for about $38. I originally decided to do the swap when i figured out that I had (what I believe to be) a leaky injector. After spraying them down with deep creep and then soaking them in seafoam for a bit I installed new o-rings and then installed the injectors. The jeep does seam to idle smoother and I am not too sure yet about throttle response. I still have to change an oxygen sensor. Bank 2 sensor1. For anyone wondering what vehicle I found the injectors on, after looking over the entire chrysler section I only found one car that had the 784 injectors it was a 2000 Dodge Stratus.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows it going? Stock injectors for my 2001 have a lot of power.. let me know if your stomping to engage lower gears at 45 to 55mph on tranny.. I have the New fords.. XR3E 9F593 A4B.. I feel lost power.. I think for our year where manifold/throttle body was upgraded no change of injectors is needed.. Why did Chrysler not put 784's in Jeeps to begin with then?? Neons were being made at the same time as our 2001..

Please update this thread.. I think its a waste of time an money doing these swaps but I don't have 784's yet..
Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Well..... I forgot to mention that this is my wifes vehicle. Therefore I don't drive it that often. I will check the 45-55 response within the next week. I did do a 15-20 mph check. I wasn't sure if I noticed much difference there. I think if anything I agree with your statement. But like many of the previous posts I felt that the idle was much smoother and possibly take off was more more aggressive. I was curious as to the behavior of the ford injectors as well. So I'll have to update when I drive again. Did you notice any increase in mpg? I have a bad O2 sensor so I know that is killing our gas mileage, but my wife wants to get better fuel economy. Have you done any other mods to your jeep?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by deljer55
Well..... I forgot to mention that this is my wifes vehicle. Therefore I don't drive it that often. I will check the 45-55 response within the next week. I did do a 15-20 mph check. I wasn't sure if I noticed much difference there. I think if anything I agree with your statement. But like many of the previous posts I felt that the idle was much smoother and possibly take off was more more aggressive. I was curious as to the behavior of the ford injectors as well. So I'll have to update when I drive again. Did you notice any increase in mpg? I have a bad O2 sensor so I know that is killing our gas mileage, but my wife wants to get better fuel economy. Have you done any other mods to your jeep?

hi! Im getting 15.5mpg.. Less Power at WOT with ford injectors. I have no other mods.. My idle is crisp now.. I was hoping to get more MPG..

I am going to look into o2 sensors.. Let me know what you think of the 784s
Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I did the 784 swap to my 99 and though I haven't seen any mpg gain (nor a loss thank goodness) my idle is VERY smooth, and the throttle response is better - mainly at lower speeds, but it's slightly better at hwy speeds as well.

I don't many guys who have done the Ford injector swap, but from what I've read and heard, they're not as good as the 784's. You may want to look into going with 784's buysellny.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I did the 784 swap to my 99 and though I haven't seen any mpg gain (nor a loss thank goodness) my idle is VERY smooth, and the throttle response is better - mainly at lower speeds, but it's slightly better at hwy speeds as well.

I don't many guys who have done the Ford injector swap, but from what I've read and heard, they're not as good as the 784's. You may want to look into going with 784's buysellny.
Thanks! These Fords give a crisp clean idle.. other then that I get nothing else.. I was going to try the 784's anyway
Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 PM

After alot of searching online for the vehicles that "should" have the 784's, I only found them in Dodge Stratus's. I believe they were from 99 to 01. This is the car that I would start my search from.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by deljer55
After alot of searching online for the vehicles that "should" have the 784's, I only found them in Dodge Stratus's. I believe they were from 99 to 01. This is the car that I would start my search from.

I can get brand new injectors 784's for 30 each.. Let em know if you want them.. Not rebuilt but brand new.. If your buying junkyard crap then you need to have them tested.. The needles get out of spec for high miles.. Wont sit in seat right..
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM

Default Adjust your Kickdown Cable and save gase and shift better

Originally Posted by buysellny
I can get brand new injectors 784's for 30 each.. Let em know if you want them.. Not rebuilt but brand new.. If your buying junkyard crap then you need to have them tested.. The needles get out of spec for high miles.. Wont sit in seat right..
Check this out!! I did this today and walla.. It fixed a lot of my problems.. This cable has a manual adjustement mechanism and the tranny will actually work harder causing low gas mileage and bad shifiting if not corrected!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/
Old 11-17-2010, 11:14 AM

I just spoke with http://www.mrinjector.us/ Bill.. I bought Filters and O rings for my stock units and for some used injectors Boche 784's that are on the way.. He told me for this style Intake spray pattern is not critical if not relevant at all. Thats why Jeep kept using these injectors that shoot gas like a water gun. Spray pattern is critical in OTHER applications but not on the 4 liter because, according to Bill, this style intake will put gas in a READY mode for use during driving and that gas can SIT inside the motor/ head/ cylynder until its used.. So spray patter is meaningless.. Somehting like this he told me.. Im no motor genius.. These guys have all the rebuild parts for the stock injectors. Anyway, I now have in my possession the fords stated here, I have 2 sets of stock injectors that will be refurbished to new, and I have a set of 784's that Im rebuilding with new rings, filters and caps, I will also be ordering the c4b's. When I am done I will have mileage specs on ALL 4 sets of injectors.. I will run two tanks out on each style to see what gas mileage I get.. When im done the results will be exacting.. Right now im lucky to get 15mpg with these fords Im running as stated in this thread. By the time Im done I will have spend hundreds of dollars to rebuild and buy injectors.. So much so i will begin to sell them off.. I even bought a Jewlry cleaner to clean the tips. lol.. All in the persuit of better gas mileage.. Im starting to spend so much on injectors that I wont make it up on gas..