Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4wheel drive not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 4wheel drive not engaging

Ok so I thought my 4x4 was working because I made it through a few mudding trips with ease but I was wrong. When I bought my XJ the guy said he disengaged/disconnected the 4wheel drive to tow/drive from California to Ohio. When I took it out the first time I put it through the gears and it felt as though it engaged and it drove like it was engaged (axels locked and driveshaft locked), but the wheels aren't locking. Anyone know what I should look for? Does that sound like vaccum is disconnected? Im not 100% on where that will be, but Im sure Mr. Haynes will have it somewhere in that godsend they call a Manual. Everything is stock as far as lockers/axels/tranny, etc are concerned. Thanks for any input.

Lance
Old 07-25-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

You don't have to disengaged your 4x4 system?

The only thing I'm seeing in my mind is an AW4 vehicle getting it's driveshaft pulled out. Thus making it a 2WD.

Well the Cherokee, unless otherwise stated, is 4x4 select. Which means the 4 wheel system doesn't even engage unless you shift into it. Until then, it remains a 2WD vehicle.

You'll know the 4x4 is engaged from just testing it in a paved parking lot. Take a right or left turn, and your tires will skip around and act silly on pavement.

Hopefully this guy didn't just butcher it, then sell it to you.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have the vacuum disconnect front axle? I don't recall what years those were installed.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 AM

I always understood that if you are pulling a 4WD, rear wheel vehicle on a dolly that you should disconnect the driveshaft/4WD to prevent damage. I figured he unplugged the vaccum hose or something since everything else is engaging, just not locking the wheels. I've seen a hose in the passenger side area near the transmission/tranny that looks to be cut/broken, not sure if that may be it. And yes, hopefully he didn't just beat it to crap or something. Either way some things are engaging so there shouldnt be an entire system to fix. I hope..because Swampers aren't as much fun in 2WD.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 AM

Yes I believe it's vaccum disconnect front. I'm at work so I can't check right now, but I believe so.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: l6

Originally Posted by dortch22
I always understood that if you are pulling a 4WD, rear wheel vehicle on a dolly that you should disconnect the driveshaft/4WD to prevent damage. I figured he unplugged the vaccum hose or something since everything else is engaging, just not locking the wheels. I've seen a hose in the passenger side area near the transmission/tranny that looks to be cut/broken, not sure if that may be it. And yes, hopefully he didn't just beat it to crap or something. Either way some things are engaging so there shouldnt be an entire system to fix. I hope..because Swampers aren't as much fun in 2WD.
Why disconnect the driveshaft when u can put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in neutral ?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCK4x4
Why disconnect the driveshaft when u can put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in neutral ?
Yep. XJ's get pulled all around the country behind motorhomes with the auto trans in P and transfer case in N.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi

Yep. XJ's get pulled all around the country behind motorhomes with the auto trans in P and transfer case in N.
That's what I thought. So why is there need to disco the driveshaft
Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

check your linkage. if you go under the vehicle and have another person move the 4 wheel selector around you will see this linkage. It could be that it is out of adjustment ot the set screw is loose or even the rod that it rides on isnt pressed into the housing anymore.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ColoradoCorey
check your linkage. if you go under the vehicle and have another person move the 4 wheel selector around you will see this linkage. It could be that it is out of adjustment ot the set screw is loose or even the rod that it rides on isnt pressed into the housing anymore.
X2
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 AM

Not sure exactly the logic on it when I was told but I thought it had something to do with putting all those miles on the tranny/trans when towing. It was probably towing advice from someone that shouldn't have been giving it. Made sense at the time I guess, but alot less sense now I still have this problem though. I'm guessing start with checking the vaccum lines then plab B..anyone got a plan B?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 AM

Thanks coloradocorey, Ill check the linkage also
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM

Year: 96

Originally Posted by dortch22
Not sure exactly the logic on it when I was told but I thought it had something to do with putting all those miles on the tranny/trans when towing. It was probably towing advice from someone that shouldn't have been giving it. Made sense at the time I guess, but alot less sense now I still have this problem though. I'm guessing start with checking the vaccum lines then plab B..anyone got a plan B?
you will know right off the bat if there is a vac line, there will be a rubber hose going to the pumkin/diff. If not then go the next route and check the linkage. If the linkage is good, well then,...

Also what year is it and what diff do you have?

Edit: ok so the vacuum line doesnt run into the diff, its actually in the axle tube, ha!

Last edited by ColoradoCorey; 07-25-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I stand corrected!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 AM

Year: 1991

Check fluids too
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 AM

Now that you describe it like that I'm positive there are vaccum lines coming off the diff. Wether they connect or not is the question. I'll check that first thing. It's a '90, dana 30 front, 35 rear, NP231 trany, manual trans. No aftermarket lockers or anything like that have been installed.

Quick Reply: 4wheel drive not engaging