Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4WD issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4WD issue

I was switching from 4WD back to 2WD today and the shifter got stuck. I pushed it forward into 2WD but the part time light was still on. after a little exploring I found it was now off by one selection, meaning 2WD was now part time, part time was now full time, etc.

I consulted the manual and adjusted the rod connecting the shifter to the transfer case as it suggested. I pushed the rod all the way in to the end, and upon test drive I heard a thump, and apparantly it self corrected and everything started working. I went down and checked and the rod was positioned about halfway through the trunion.

It shifts easily now, the correct lights go on in the correct positions, but im still a bit uneasy about it.

how can I know for sure that I am truly in 2WD? The front driveshaft turns when the vehicle moves. I have no clue if it is supposed to or not, but I dont want to burn out my transfer case while patting myself on the back for fixing the problem.

thanks in advance!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 AM

its not going into 4 low so something is still wrong.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Very blurry pic but it seems you adjusted it out of the correct position. It was prolly fine where it was but you need to learn the way your particular Jeep engages and disengages from 4WD.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

If you want to adjust it:
Remove the trim to gain access to the shifter mechanism, shift the lever to 4LO, place an 1/8" shim between the shifter and the shifter housing, loosen the trunnion bolt so the rod can move freely, and shift the transfer case into 4LO, and tighten the trunnion bolt.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy3
If you want to adjust it:
Remove the trim to gain access to the shifter mechanism, shift the lever to 4LO, place an 1/8" shim between the shifter and the shifter housing, loosen the trunnion bolt so the rod can move freely, and shift the transfer case into 4LO, and tighten the trunnion bolt.
Bowtie is getting that straight from the FSM. So it will work if you have the shim material. I have always just crawled under and used neutral but the FSM says to use the method quoted by Bowtie.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Bowtie is getting that straight from the FSM. So it will work if you have the shim material. I have always just crawled under and used neutral but the FSM says to use the method quoted by Bowtie.
That's actually how I've been doing it for ages...I just use a wadded piece of paper or cigarette carton for a shim, kinda nice since you can make it into an L shape and let it hang......
I tried the N thing once, and I was like 1/2 a range off on everything, ground the **** outta the gears...
I usually have to do it yearly since I jacked up my linkage on a rock one time....I wish mine was that clean....I swear mine's gonna break off from corrosion one day...
Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy3
That's actually how I've been doing it for ages...I just use a wadded piece of paper or cigarette carton for a shim, kinda nice since you can make it into an L shape and let it hang......
I tried the N thing once, and I was like 1/2 a range off on everything, ground the **** outta the gears...
I usually have to do it yearly since I jacked up my linkage on a rock one time....I wish mine was that clean....I swear mine's gonna break off from corrosion one day...
Yeah and so is your linkage. HaHaHa.

Never had any problem using the neutral method. Thought that was the right way until I finally got a set of FSMs. Used to use the neutral method on a Dodge and an older Jeep in the 70s and didn't know any other method until the FSMs came my way.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 PM

I had it in the correct position but I couldnt get it back in 2WD. that position its in now was the only one that turned the correct lights on and off as I shifted and allowed me to easily shift back and forth.

Im going to go play with it some more, but I have tried every position from this one all the way to the end without positive result.

[edit] ok, I adjusted it exactly back to where the marks were on the rod and tightened down the nut. I am able to shift forward into 2WD, although it only takes a tuny tap to pop it back into part time. I placed it in neutral and was able to get back into 4 low, although it wasnt very responsive and the dash still said part time.

now when I turn the wheel though I get vibrations and its hesitant to move.

Last edited by daemon734; 12-24-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:04 PM

ok, heres an update, but I am still kinda assed out. I could not get it to get back into 2WD via the shifter, only when I manually put it in 2WD via the transfer case itself. my attempt at adjustments did not work.

I had to take it to a shop, who told me the problem was with my transfer case and charged me $1800 to rebuild it. I am on a temporary duty assignment for the military and had to be back in two days so I had no choice but to roll with it. Now though, I find that I am having the exact same issues and that my linkage is bent.

so I am assuming I just got hosed by a transmission shop in a different state, and I am still at square one. the transfer case is clean and has new fluid, but I am not even sure if they actually rebuilt it.

anyways, where can I buy a new linkage for my transfer case? I found an adjustable linkage on quadratec but am not sure if it will work as it doesnt look like mine at all.

Last edited by daemon734; 01-04-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Unfortunately, you are absolutely right about getting hosed by the transmission shop. I hate mechanics these days who only know to throw parts at something until it works. Where are the troubleshooting skills, these days. This is exactly why I would NEVER take my XJ to a shop. If you are back home now, go to your local Junkyard and get the TC shift linkage out of a donor XJ. The bright side is you have a totally rebuilt TC so you shouldn't have any bearing, etc., issues with it and if you do, you hopefully got a warranty with it. You are right again, though, this sounds to me like a shift linkage problem that has nothing to do with the TC itself.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Unfortunately, you are absolutely right about getting hosed by the transmission shop. I hate mechanics these days who only know to throw parts at something until it works. Where are the troubleshooting skills, these days. This is exactly why I would NEVER take my XJ to a shop. If you are back home now, go to your local Junkyard and get the TC shift linkage out of a donor XJ. The bright side is you have a totally rebuilt TC so you shouldn't have any bearing, etc., issues with it and if you do, you hopefully got a warranty with it. You are right again, though, this sounds to me like a shift linkage problem that has nothing to do with the TC itself.

Im not at home, im at a temporary assignment in alabama, and I also have very little time to deal with this. I can get by for now, as long as I dont attempt to change it to 4WD, as it wont change back without me going underneath and doing it manually from the transfer case.

I cant seem to find any linkages online, but I am going to keep looking around.