Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4 wheel drive making bad loud noises, help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4 wheel drive making bad loud noises, help!

So I have a 95 jeep Cherokee that I bought about a month ago, I got it home and realized I forgot to check the 4 wheel drive before i bought it.

So I got in, put it in 4L and it was slipping out when it made this high pitched banging noise. I put it in 4H and it would stay in, but would make the same noise. It seemed it made the noise more under a load and during turns. You can roll going straight and it won't make the noise unless you get on the throttle.

So I checked out my front axel u joints and my front drive shaft u joints. They are all very firm and don't look worn. No play in any of them.

I went wheeling this weekend and found myself stuck a lot because I was mostly using 2wd because I didn't want to use 4. When I got stuck I put it in 4wd. Usually if I was stuck it would be under a load. The more gas you give it, the more it makes the banging noise. I looked underneath, and every time you hear the noise, the tranny and transfer case bounce.

I'm thinking that it's my TC chain or my transmission mount. It seems too high pitched to be the transmission mount, and why wouldn't it make the noise in 2WD if it was the transmission mount? I saw a video of one with a slipping TC chain. It was more of a grinding high pitched slippimg noise. What do you guys thing my problem is? I think it's the chain, but is there any chance it's the tranny mount? What would cause it to only bounce and make a banging clunking noise in 4WD under a load? Anyone have the same problem and solved it? Please let me know, I do a lot of wheeling and I need to fix it.

Also, I took the fill screw off the TC to feel for the chain to see if it was loose, I couldn't tell much, but the top part of the chain had some play and I couldn't really push the bottom of the chain down? Maybe it's dragging? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for reading!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

It does sound like your TC chain. Have a 91 that did the same thing.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Is the TC fluid full? How long has it been since being changed?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Is the TC fluid full? How long has it been since being changed?
I just changed the TC fluid when I bought it. I put dex merc transmission fluid in. But yes it's full