Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

3inch steering changes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default 3inch steering changes?

I didnt have much luck with a search here, so im gonna throw this out there. I might have a good deal on a rough country 3 inch add-a-leaf kit for my 2000 XJ. I was wanting it ask what steering components would have to be changed or altered? Ive read that id need an adjustable track bar, then some ppl say no you can use the stock one. And Im not sure if I need a different drag link that goes down further to hook up? Any help?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

put the lift on get it aligned then find out. Probably don't need a trackbar, if it pulls your axle to the drivers side then unbolt the stocker from the axle bracket, get it all centered to the body then mark and drill a hold in the axle bracket and put the bar back on. Lower control arms may help if you go to bigger tires and get a rub. Biggest threat with a 96 and newer is driveline vibration. at 3" you may not need an sye but all jeeps are different. Put it on, align it, drive it and learn.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: Inline 6, 4.ol

I have a 3 inch on my 89 with all stock steering components, but like he said, all xj's are different...
Old 10-21-2010, 05:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by mcssls
put the lift on get it aligned then find out. Probably don't need a trackbar, if it pulls your axle to the drivers side then unbolt the stocker from the axle bracket, get it all centered to the body then mark and drill a hold in the axle bracket and put the bar back on. Lower control arms may help if you go to bigger tires and get a rub. Biggest threat with a 96 and newer is driveline vibration. at 3" you may not need an sye but all jeeps are different. Put it on, align it, drive it and learn.
buy this bracket if fron end is not centered and transfer case drop brackets will correct the angles if there is an issue
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994

I just installed the Rusty's 3 inch kit this weekend, and according to info. that I've read I would have to move the track bar 3/4 inch to the right to center the axle. There's even a right up in the tech section. Well.... I went ahead and relocated the trackbar while everything was off the ground. When complete the axle was shifted way too far to the left!? So I put the trackbar back in original location and axle is located correctly and front end alignment worked fine. Long story short....lift the jeep and get the front end aligned and go from there.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

yup lift it first. If it's only off by 1/2" or less dont even bother trying to correct it, you wont notice it. Control arms are a good idea, but not necessary. If you're a home-brewer like me, you can take 2 sets of lower control arms, cut them up and make a set of longer arms with a slight bend in them for more droop!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Thanks for all the $0.02

How do you center the front axle?
How does it shift to one side?
If it shifts to one side does that mean the tires will point in that direction?
Wont the control arms prevent extreme axle shifting like that?

I heard about how they shift and you need to center them, but i dont what you do and what you need to center them. And how you know for sure it is centered.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

with the trackbar disconnected put the front end back on the ground and you can just push sideways on a fender, get it to wiggle good on the suspension and that will usually center it. If not that way (I did it and it works) you can measure from a straight line down from the fender to a point on each tire or many other ways. At 3" just do the push a wiggle then eyeball the fender to tire line.