Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

3 inch lift question,

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 3 inch lift question,

Hello all,

Just wondering here,

I just had my jeep lifted,

Rc 3 in w/rear leaf springs and shocks
mt side biter 15/8
bf goodrich 31x10.5
rugged ridge hd steering

it's a 1999 Xj cherokee sport

my question is, the rear tires do not sit center in the rear of the wheel wells, it is as if i got MAX a inch clearance on the wheel to the back of the wheel well, but about 3 inches from the tire to the front of the wheel well,

is this normal?

just wondering if this is something to be concerned about of if it is normal but i never paid attention to it while seeing others XJs with the same.

thanks.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No .That is not normal.It sounds like they didn't use the centering pins.If you use the centering pins then it can only sit the proper way.Unless the put the springs on back wards.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

cut your fenders and get a SYE asap, stretched to 101inches aint a bad thing in my book

Last edited by Irongrave; 09-12-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:34 PM

I checked this after i left the garage, i measured the leafs from the center axle pin ( mount ) to the back and the front to the leaf shakles, measurements show that is the leafs were installed backwards it would be worse of a mis-center then it is now.,

the leaf shakle bushings ( sizes ) also seem as if they are in the right front to back install.

I have zero drive shimmy or any out of the norm drive vibration since the lift, but the centering issue has me wondering if the garage just used a general purpose multi model style leaf spring part .

i dont know,

there seems to be a little tension between I and the garage at question, but when i showed it to them, it's as if they never even seen it while they did the install, yet they seemed to just shrug it off. like it was no big deal.,

the axle is also lined up center of leafs with the pin/bolt.

I just have nothing to compare this against.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

The axle shouldn't be centered on the leaf.It should sit further forward on the leaf.There should be more leaf behind the axle .I just measured and it is 29in from center pin to center of eye on the back half and 24in from center pin to center of eye on front half.

Last edited by troy fritz; 09-12-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

reading that post sounds like it more and issue with the springs VS the shop. but as you get into wheeling being stretched in the rear is good as it improves your departure angle. I'm actually working on the plans to flip my leafs around on purposes to get my righ closer to a 104-105 inch wheel base.

The next question is what dose your shackle look like? IE is it pointed backwards or straight up and down. if its pointed back that will also pull the axles towards the rear to fix it you'll need an extended length shackle or use these to move the axle back to center http://allprooffroad.com/pickupsuspension/51

or like i said in my first post, pull your fenders off do the pizza cut on the rear to make some room for the tire to flex and stuff into the wheel well.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:04 PM

My measurements are

center to back center is 28 inches

center to front center is 24 inches
Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 PM

It's not a pissing contest in any manor ( just to state ) with the garage, the guys aren't hackers, But safety was my first concern. I tow boats and just the tongue weight ( about 120 pounds ) puts the wheel well about 1/2 from the tire, so any road bounce causes it to clip the fenders.,

if there's no concern other then the fender,. then a chop and bushwackers could be the solution,. of which I would be content with,.

Irongrave those axle plates might just be the solution.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

i agree the longer wheelbase isn't a bad thing but... it does seem weird it would be further back. if anything lifting it should bring the axle forward. the measurements seem about right (if they were backwards it would be WAY off center). check the shakles. if everythings the right size they should be near verticle.

as far as safety, my biggest concern would be the slip-yoke assuming you're still running the stock driveshaft. the axle back further means that yoke is farther out on the output shaft of the transfer case, making it more prone to vibs etc.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks to EVERYone for their input.

Seriously~

Ok, I am not a everyday lifter, I have owned many a jeeps, but this is the first one that i decided to lift.

you all mentioned about the drive shaft. yoke elims and slips and such.

for the 1999 XJ are there any direct links anyone can offer that I can view?

it seems logical, nothing that was mentioned at the garage though, but I am a real big believer in Proactive actions and preventive maintaince,

so any links would be outstanding and way helpful.

thank you again
Old 09-19-2010, 02:15 AM

Year: 1998

not real specific to slip yokes but some good info nonetheless:

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/
Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Ive never delt with a transfer case before, but my 2wd cherokee was soon to take a dump so i pulled a transfer case from the junkyard. Being my first time, following the instructions, i was able to install the SYE myself with not problems. If you do decide to do the SYE kit, ask questions and know a local driveline shop will usually be a helping hand if needed.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 PM

thanks,

just the direction I was looking for,.

Well, I'm gonna do some research and see what happens.,

thanks!