Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

3 inch lift, adding another inch. need help

Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default 3 inch lift, adding another inch. need help

I put a 3 inch Zone lift in my jeep a couple months ago but my jeep sits 60-40. I want to put 1 inch coil spacers in the front. With a 4 inch lift will I need to put anything else into it? Like new lower control arms or sway bar links or brake lines?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by xjlimited
I put a 3 inch Zone lift in my jeep a couple months ago but my jeep sits 60-40. I want to put 1 inch coil spacers in the front. With a 4 inch lift will I need to put anything else into it? Like new lower control arms or sway bar links or brake lines?
you should be fine. might be a more rough ride though. what does this lift come with originally? zone. anything up front besides the springs?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll definitely need longer brake lines without sway bars connected, and the stock links wouldn't have a chance at reaching the sway bar. You should look at a LCA drop brackets or longer arms for anything over 3". I'm not sure about the steering
Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by s14unimog
you'll definitely need longer brake lines without sway bars connected, and the stock links wouldn't have a chance at reaching the sway bar. You should look at a LCA drop brackets or longer arms for anything over 3". I'm not sure about the steering
Longer brake lines are a must at that height....longer sway bar links are needed, but I'd suggest getting quick disconnects. Lower CAs are also something you need(upper CAs would be smart too) to get but for anything at 4" or higher I'd recommend getting long arms. if its just a pavement princess get some CA drop brackets...

The steering is ok, but with running bigger tires, I'd recommend a beefier tie rod and drag link. a new track bar is another must at that height.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Every xj is different, I know, but I had 3" coils, w/a 1" spacer and used the stock track bar and brake lines.

It did have aftermarket lower control arms.

Why do you want to go higher? I raised mine even more now, and the domino effect was a ton of work.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Every xj is different, I know, but I had 3" coils, w/a 1" spacer and used the stock track bar and brake lines.

It did have aftermarket lower control arms.

Why do you want to go higher? I raised mine even more now, and the domino effect was a ton of work.
Did you have a connected sway bar? that would limit the flex enough to not need extended brake lines, personally anything over 3" I would get extended brake lines and not risk ripping one out.

You can use the stock track bar but the axel will be off center by about 2-3" at that height...and the driver's side tire will stick out noticeably more than the passenger's side.

Last edited by ZachsXJ; 01-22-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

No, soon as I bought it, the anti-sway went to the trash.

My axle seemed pretty center. I also did an alignment and I'm sure I would've noticed. And it was bolted to all the stock locations. Maybe I just got lucky. Going from 4" to about 5-5.5", where I'm at now, I've had to do a butt-load of stuff.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djlarroc
No, soon as I bought it, the anti-sway went to the trash.

My axle seemed pretty center. I also did an alignment and I'm sure I would've noticed. And it was bolted to all the stock locations. Maybe I just got lucky. Going from 4" to about 5-5.5", where I'm at now, I've had to do a butt-load of stuff.
Lol, one of those ey? how'd it pass inspection? thats the only reason I plan on keeping mine.

mine is at 3" and the axel is off-center by a good 1.5-2.5"(just eyeballed it so idk)
Old 01-23-2010, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
Lol, one of those ey? how'd it pass inspection? thats the only reason I plan on keeping mine.

mine is at 3" and the axel is off-center by a good 1.5-2.5"(just eyeballed it so idk)
We don't have inspection in CO. Just emission.

And by butt-load of stuff, it was all lift-related. Adj track bar, that was too short, so I did a double-shear drop bracket, new shock mounts, new adj UCA/LCA, front springs, rear springs, SYE, new DS. I also did the Ford 8.8 swap, so everything related to that. And since I was at it, re-gear w/front and rear lockers and diff covers.