Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

242 Transfer Case doesn't work in 4 High

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 242 Transfer Case doesn't work in 4 High

My 96 XJ's 242 transfer case works fine in 4 low but it wont engage the front axle in 4 high. What is the problem?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJThrasher
My 96 XJ's 242 transfer case works fine in 4 low but it wont engage the front axle in 4 high. What is the problem?
"4 high" is a 231 selection as I recall. Do you mean "4 Part Time"?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Did it ever ?
Old 05-03-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It did work but took time to engage. I meant full-time not 4 high.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:19 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

242s are a bear sometimes.

You must shift at speed:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in ITALICS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

To shift out of 4L, shift the transmission into neutral with the vehicle stopped, shift the transfer case lever to 2H, then to D if you have an automatic, or into first gear with a manual, and continue on.

Revised 01-31-2014

Have you ever checked the transfer case fluid level and condition?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

XJThrasher,

When you select 4x4 Full Time, does the green "FULL TIME" indicator light on the instrument cluster illuminate?

While you're under the Jeep checking/changing the TC fluid, check the TC linkage. See if all the bushings are in place. Have someone move the TC selector lever while you watch the linkage to see if there's any lost motion.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CCKen
XJThrasher,

When you select 4x4 Full Time, does the green "FULL TIME" indicator light on the instrument cluster illuminate?
My CT's PART TIME light doesnt come on but i think the light is just blown or something.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RegularGuy
My CT's PART TIME light doesnt come on but i think the light is just blown or something.
What's a "CT's"

Does the light come on when you initially turn the key to RUN, before starting the engine to do the instrument cluster bulb check? If yes, the bulb is okay and it may be a defective mode select switch on the TC Or its wiring).
Old 05-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

What's a "CT's"
Command Trac, sorry.
No, it doesnt even light up at the bulb test on startup, thats why i figured it was out.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Start by adjusting the shifter.. Next are your tires all the same diameter? The 242 is very sensitive to tire size, especially 4FT.. If 1 tire is different from the rest it will have shifting issues. Just for info purposes do you lockers or a LSD at either end?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Are we shifting at speed or sitting still? This is SUPER important.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Start by adjusting the shifter.. Next are your tires all the same diameter? The 242 is very sensitive to tire size, especially 4FT.. If 1 tire is different from the rest it will have shifting issues. Just for info purposes do you lockers or a LSD at either end?
Improper or staggered tire inflation will cause problems, as well as tire size issues.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RegularGuy
Command Trac, sorry.
No, it doesnt even light up at the bulb test on startup, thats why i figured it was out.
I guess you have to change the bulb...
Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Here's the NP/NV242 shift procedures from a '99 Owner's Manual, slightly modified by me.

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:12 PM

Here's the NP/NV242 shift procedures from a '99 Owner's Manual, slightly modified by me.

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.
Thanks Ken. I stole it.

Quick Reply: 242 Transfer Case doesn't work in 4 High