Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

242 tcase snap ring part #/name

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Default 242 tcase snap ring part #/name

hoping you guys can help.
I bought a used 242 tcase to replace my busted one. turns out the drive chain needs to be replaced on the replacement 242 Ive got it apart
but I ruined the snap ring that was on the shaft behind the 3bolt tail cone extension.

i want to buy a new snap ring.
trying to figure out what this one is called/part number so i get the right one. I think i might have found it but not sure here is a link to a possible candidate http://www.4wheelparts.com/Transmiss...=116&t_pt=8073

is this the right one? i removed the 3 bolt tail cone extension, then the snap ring from the shaft(not sure if that is called the output shaft) then the tail cone so i could split the case

thanks,
John
Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

has anyone here worked on these tcases?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

OH YA!!! I have worked on mine, i had to split in half 2 times in a matter of 3 days. In my thread there is a exploded view of a T case, maybe it has the name of the snap ring you are looking to purchase.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/suc...g-4-lo-120724/
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

first I want to say thank you because the reason I am doing this tcase replacement is the exact problem you described and I couldn't find any solutions online till your post. I was going to swap in a replacement 242 and then try and figure out the old one. now I have a good place to start!
I have that diagram and unfortunately they don't show the snap ring ( at least from what I see) but the one I have isn't actually bad, i was worried it was stretched out, its not.

for anyone else interested
here is a picture of the snap ring, it sits right behind the tail cone extension and holds the tail cone and bearing in place
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 PM

Well that's good to hear, if you have any other questions. let me know. My 242 has been hacked and tapped for the slip yoke elimination.

So your T case is letting your front drive line drop out or dis-engage also?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

I just scrapped out a 231 case. the parts are the same. pm me your address and it will be in an envelope to you by noon the next day.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

yea I'm having trouble with 4low and part time. full time works fine. if i shift into full time first then it will go into part time or 4low. if i shift into 4low from 2wdrive i can tell its in low gear but the front axle wont engage.

also if i shift from drive to neutral reverse the front will sometimes disengage

haven't had the case apart yet but what you described sounds like it could be a good place to look
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by xjheep92
yea I'm having trouble with 4low and part time. full time works fine. if i shift into full time first then it will go into part time or 4low. if i shift into 4low from 2wdrive i can tell its in low gear but the front axle wont engage.

also if i shift from drive to neutral reverse the front will sometimes disengage

haven't had the case apart yet but what you described sounds like it could be a good place to look
Yep!!! same problem i was having with my T case!!! My 4WD Part Time and Full time never popped out the front drive line, only when i had it in 4 LO. I could get the front drive line to grab for a minute or two in 4 LO, and then the same as you, if i took the pre-loaded pressure of the T case, like going into neutral or reverse in the tranny, it would dis-engage the front drive line, i could actually hear the gear pop out inside of the T case.

I't sure sounds like you are having the same problems i was having. If it was me, i would try to find another newer T case like i did, i found the 2000 T case for 60 bucks and robbed the shift rails and the shift fork's out of it, and stuck it all in my T case. If you cant find another newer T case, i would order up a new set of springs that go on the shift rails, they are what keeps pressure on the shift forks to help them stay in gear, and the plastic bushings that go on the end of the shift forks. Also when you split your T case in half, there is a metal bushing in the back of the T case that the shift rail rides in, if that bushing is wore out, which i think mine was, it will cause enough side to side play in the shift rail and the shift forks to let the forks move just enough to pop out the front drive line. There is not to much room for error on the 242 T case were the gears shift in and out of the Differential Assembly for free play before it will let the front drive line go into free wheel. That is about the only down fall i can see in the 242 T case, other than that they are just as strong, and even better than the 231 with the Full time and Part time lock up option they have..