Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

231 T-Case Switch/Indicator adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question 231 T-Case Switch/Indicator adjustment?

Hi folks,
Quick backstory - my 4wd indicator light in the gauge cluster has never worked. My t-case linkage was worn out and did not function properly.

I swapped in a Boostwerks t-case shift lever, and got it adjusted perfectly. It shifts great, and I have a very positive feedback through the shifter which lets me know if the t-case is properly engaged.

I replaced the 231 position switch earlier today
(amazon link) (amazon link)
, and the part time indicator does come on very intermittently.

I sat there to see if I could figure out what the problem is, and it just seems to not be registering the transfer-case position properly.
If I hold the shift handle at a certain position, it will light up just fine, but if I actually drive the truck in 4-hi, it will almost immediately turn off, and intermitantly flash at me while driving down the road.

The wire connections look perfect, and I even pulled the switch out, cleaned the threads in the t-case, and inspected everything. The old switch is definately dead, the new one seems to work just fine with exception to being "out of adjustment).

Any ideas?
I know I dont really need it, but I would like for it to work since I wasted $10 on the sensor
Old 11-22-2015, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

You'd have to disassemble your TC to verify proper engagement of the sensor...
Old 01-11-2016, 05:25 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

My indicator light doesn't come on at all. I pulled the instrument cluster and verified the bulb itself is OK. Looking at the T-case, that's the switch on top? It looks nearly impossible to get my hand(s) in there to unplug the switch, let alone get the switch out. Or am I missing something?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BiplaneGuy
My indicator light doesn't come on at all. I pulled the instrument cluster and verified the bulb itself is OK. Looking at the T-case, that's the switch on top? It looks nearly impossible to get my hand(s) in there to unplug the switch, let alone get the switch out. Or am I missing something?
unbolt the crossmember and lower the transmission slightly or as needed to make room
Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 PM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: stock 6-cylinder
Default T-case switch

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Hi folks,
Quick backstory - my 4wd indicator light in the gauge cluster has never worked. My t-case linkage was worn out and did not function properly.

I swapped in a Boostwerks t-case shift lever, and got it adjusted perfectly. It shifts great, and I have a very positive feedback through the shifter which lets me know if the t-case is properly engaged.

I replaced the 231 position switch earlier today (amazon link), and the part time indicator does come on very intermittently.

I sat there to see if I could figure out what the problem is, and it just seems to not be registering the transfer-case position properly.
If I hold the shift handle at a certain position, it will light up just fine, but if I actually drive the truck in 4-hi, it will almost immediately turn off, and intermitantly flash at me while driving down the road.

The wire connections look perfect, and I even pulled the switch out, cleaned the threads in the t-case, and inspected everything. The old switch is definately dead, the new one seems to work just fine with exception to being "out of adjustment).

Any ideas?
I know I dont really need it, but I would like for it to work since I wasted $10 on the sensor
I also replaced my T-case indicator switch and the light would still not come on, unless i manually push the ball in on the switch by hand. If i pushed the ball in on the indicator switch the 4 wheel light would come on. . . .So why doesn`t it work in the transfer case(4wheel drive works)? I did read on a different forum that the switches can come in longer lengths, don`t know if thats true? Would like to fined out. Just thought i would give you that info
Old 03-17-2020, 10:52 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hate to re-hash an old thread, but did anyone ever figure out the solution to this problem? Have a similar issue on my 98 with the 231. When I shift into 4H, the part-time indicator light will come on, but then start intermittently flashing, then go out completely until I shift out of 4H. It will come back on if I put it back in 4H, but then does the same thing. Since the conditions that I am doing this in are normal dry pavement (I'm just testing things out since the jeep is new to me), I am thinking this may be normal since the intended purpose of this transfer case is not for those types of conditions. Just trying to get things in order before I get it out on the rocks and dirt, but can verify that it actually is shifting nicely into 4wd with no issues, it's just the indicator light acting weird.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2020, 07:44 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

CRUISER'S MOSTLY RENIX TIPS

SHIFTING THE TRANSFER CASE

NOVEMBER 17, 2015 SALAD 10 COMMENTS EDIT

Here’s how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I’ve been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner’s manual. The suggestions in BOLD are mine.

“To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed”. I let off the gas, throw the lever, tap the gas, and let off again.

4L position: ” To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L”.

To shift out of 4L, stop the vehicle, shift the transmission to Neutral, shift the transfer case lever to 4H, then the transmission to Drive (if you have an automatic), or First gear (if you have a manual), and continue on.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
CRUISER'S MOSTLY RENIX TIPS

SHIFTING THE TRANSFER CASE

NOVEMBER 17, 2015 SALAD 10 COMMENTS EDIT

Here’s how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I’ve been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner’s manual. The suggestions in BOLD are mine.

“To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed”. I let off the gas, throw the lever, tap the gas, and let off again.

4L position: ” To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L”.

To shift out of 4L, stop the vehicle, shift the transmission to Neutral, shift the transfer case lever to 4H, then the transmission to Drive (if you have an automatic), or First gear (if you have a manual), and continue on.
not sure if that was meant for me, but I already knew that, just curious why the indicator light for “part time”on the dash goes out while still in 4H. Light Comes on, stays steady for a minute or two, starts flashing, then goes out completely. All while still in 4H
Old 03-18-2020, 08:25 AM

I'm just making sure everyone knows that.

Switch turns the light on when it's tip is retracted or extended?
Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I'm just making sure everyone knows that.

Switch turns the light on when it's tip is retracted or extended?
not a problem. I’ve seen you helping a lot of folks on here.

i have a 98 with the 231. When I shift into 4H with the transfer case shift lever, a light comes on in the dash that says “Part Time”. All is good at that point and the transfer case is engaged for 4H. But after a few minutes of driving under that condition, the “Part Time”!light will start flickering and then eventually just go out. At the same time, I am still engaged in 4H. Just wondering if that light should stay on the whole time I am in 4H, which I think it should, so what would be causing it to flicker then go out? The bulb obviously works so that isn’t the issue. Not familiar with the switch that others are talking about, but sounds like something up on the transmission or transfer case?
Old 03-18-2020, 01:17 PM

It SHOULD stay on, but it's not necessary.
if the shift indicator at the lever says part time or 4wd, you're good to go.
years ago we had locking hubs, 2 shift levers just for 4wd, and a dash plaque.