Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2016 Trailhawk headlite issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6
Default 2016 Trailhawk headlite issues

Just got my new 2016 Trailhawk. Love everything about it for the little time I have had it, with the exception of the headlights.
The common complaint I see is they are dim, but I am sure they comply with DOT standards, where they fall dangerously short is their range on low beam. Because the lights are in a recessed compartment, sitting back approximately 2" from the lens to the bezel, it creates a funnel effect. It is barely tolerable on a flat surface, but if you are on a rural road, and are dealing with any kind of downhill situation, you can easily overdrive your headlights by 100' or more. I live in western Colorado, the interstate is a rolling hill hwy, and the posted speed is 75mph. At that speed, without ambient lighting I have a very short distance to react, and virtually no peripheral lighting. Not only is this irritating, but very dangerous.
I have a case number with Jeep, but am not sure, other than a recall they can solve it. The lights need to be moved forward in their housing to be able to get the light past the bezel.
It is not an acceptable option to have to buy aux. light kits or upgrad the bulbs it a new vehicle. It may take someone getting killed for them to respond.
It will be interesting to see how they handle this.