Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 xj lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2001 xj lift questions

i own a 2001 xj i wanna slap a lift on her nothing extreme but something durable. im looking to go for about a 4.5 inches high maybe 6.5 depending... rumor has it that lifting this truck is going to cause alot of front end vibration due to a change in front end set up is there anything i can do to prevent this id rather buy everything i need before lifting it and not break **** right off the get go.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: H.O. 4.0 I6

If you don't want much trouble, I'd just go with a 3" lift. If you're set on running a big lift, you're gonna need a SYE(slip yoke eliminator), and possibly new driveshafts. By the way, a 6.5 inch lift on a Cherokee is a BIG lift, it's kinda like putting an 8-10" lift on an old solid axle Chevy.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM

I agree, if you don't want any trouble stay with a 3" lift. I went to a 4.5 and it was a rocky road to say the least. Death wobble was real bad, but I got it straight after several part changes.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

go with a 3" sounds like you dont want too much trouble, and when you go past a certain height you will get driveline vibrations from the rear driveshaft then youll need an SYE
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 AM

yea im not going to be doing anything hardcore... not yet anyways i think i might look for an older xj to do that. thanks all... another question im going to be doing some light occasional mudding not often maybe 1 time a month at the most and ill be taking it on the beach to do some surf fishing but also this is my everyday driver... with a 3 inch lift what kind of tires would you suggest. im from delaware and the mud here consist mostly of clay in some parts and in others it can be thick with some stones.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

First you need to understand why people run into problems when lifting XJ's. The main reason is that ALL XJ's are old vehicles, ALL XJ's were basically an economy car to begin with. Next is the fact that most people these days buy them with the intention of lifting them, Cheaply. Since it is an old rig to start with it will be in need of Maintenance, especially in regards to the front suspension and steering. If you skip or skimp on Maintenance for an XJ, I promise you will have problems. Fix it first then lift it. While researching the lift you want start replacing the TRE's and Ball Joints, check and replace the steering box, if needed. Next address the trackbar and control arms, these may be part of whatever lift you do, so take that into consideration

Lifts
1-3" basic Cost $100 Plus. Can be done with springs and shocks alone. But may require TC drop or SYE, Control Arms and track bar, extending brakelines.
4" or more can be done for $500, but only a fool attemps with a budget of less than $1000. At this point you are basically going to replace the complete suspension system, may need to make driveline changes and steering changes. Since big tire are the purpose for this high a lift you'll need to regear the axles.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

I run a 4.5" lift and the only other thing I bought was an adjustable track bar. I have no problems with it, drives better than it ever did. The issue with the front end vibration on the 00-01 models is that they have a low pinion front axle which increases the angle of the front driveshaft, where as 99 and older have a high pinion front axle. If I were going to lift an 01 I'd try to find a front axle out of a 97-99 XJ that is geared the same as your current one.

On another not, after seeing my friend's new 3" lift on his 98, I am extremely glad I decided to go with the 4.5"
Old 04-28-2010, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade
Default lifting

You are going to also want to think about Drive line items such as axle and gears. You said that you are really considering 3" now the largest they recommend you should go is 32" tires. IMHO I think that 31" tires are as large as you should go and you should also consider gearing. If your stock gears are in the neighborhood of the 3.07-1 area then you should consider heavily regearing it or you might face large amounts of powerloss and unwanted strain and damage to trans, transfer case failure and general doggishness. If you have something like 3.55's or higher you should be good. Also consider if you are going to be playing in sand and the occasional mud trip then differentials are something to think about. A limited slip up front is what a lot of DD wheelers run with a locker in back. Here's to hoping for your future wheeling fun!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

I have 31's on my 4.5" lift with stock 3.07 gears (cuz mine's a 5 speed) and it actually does pretty good. I'll regear down the road when I cut the fenders and bumpstop for 35's but for now, I have no trouble on the highway and I still get about 18-19 mpg.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade
Default lifting

I started out with 3.07 in my '00 4.0 with a 5sp. But they quickly went the way of the dodo when it went for a swim. Really glad that i switched to 3.73 with my 31's. Makes driving much nicer and don't have as much trouble with going down the highway anymore. That and crawling around in 4 wheel is much easier. But it seriously makes a world of difference after wheeling for a year with the 3.07 gears to have switched to a lower ratio.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 PM

thanks guys... i dont really have a strict budget i found a 97 xj. motor has 80k on it tranny is in good shape shifts well and no hesitation shifting gears. its got some rust spots going through the frame and no brakes has a bad master cylinder i think the pedal goes right to the floor but im going to be buying it for parts.... hes only askin $600 for it... im going to take those doors off and custom fab some half doors... im also going to rebuild and regear those axels and throw them in my jeep as soon as i get the lift and everything else i need. its got a 3 inch lift on it already and arb bull bar bumper with winch but its siezed up. and a cargo rack. lucky find guy just wants it off his property told me i can have it free if i put a power steering pump and replace a control arm on his ram. so now lets talk gears.... what brands and sizes... keep in mind everyday driver most of my time will be spent surf fishing with occational mudding.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:10 PM

Year: 1987

First you need to identify what axles you have.
http://thejeep.com/shop/information.php?info_id=7

Then decide what gear ratio to use. This will be dependent on what tire size you choose to run. Use this chart to select a gear ratio (I recommend gearing so your performance is close to stock)
http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

I used a company called Yukon Gear when i did my axles. I ordered the ring and pinion to change the ratios and the master install kit as well. If you are going to re-gear the axles yourself, make sure you do it right. Installations can be tricky for a first timer so i recommend doing lots of research before hand.

Heres a start

Good Luck
-Mike